Get Around Downtown During Streetcar Construction
March 30, 2012
You’ll still be able to get around Downtown as construction begins for the Modern Streetcar. A new map (pdf) shows existing traffic flow and detours that will ensure that it’s still easy to find your way around Downtown Tucson.
UPDATE: Here is the latest from the Modern Streetcar website:
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway Boulevard through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- No traffic control is scheduled in the Downtown area for the week of April 2, 2012. You may see crews in this area preparing for future construction.
- On April 9 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., Toole Ave. will be closed between Congress St. and Alameda St. to restripe the roadway.
- On April 9 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., 6th Ave. between Broadway Blvd. and Alameda St. will be closed to restripe the roadway and facilitate installation of a temporary traffic signal
- Beginning April 10, 6th Ave. will be converted to two-way traffic between Broadway and Alameda. The roadway will be restriped and three temporary traffic signals will be installed at Broadway Blvd., Pennington St. and Congress St. This traffic control will help facilitate traffic flow during closures of Congress St. and Broadway Blvd.
- Beginning April 10, Congress St. will be closed to vehicular traffic between Toole Ave. and Stone Ave. This closure will be in place 24 hours per day and will require additional traffic control:
- Toole Ave. between Congress St. and 5th Ave. will be one-way northbound travel only.
- Motorist and cyclists traveling southbound on Toole Ave. must exit at 5th Ave. Local business access to the Depot will be maintained.
- There will be intermittant closures at the intersection of Congress St. and 5th Ave. and 6th Ave.
- The intersection of Scott Ave. and Congress St. will be closed. Access to businesses north and south of the intersection will be maintained.