Streetcar Construction Update for Week of April 23
April 23, 2012
Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times.
(Click on the linked headlines below to see a map)
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- No traffic control associated with the Modern Streetcar project is scheduled in the west side of I-10 area for the week of April 23, 2012.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ADVANCE NOTICE: In early May, the contractor will begin removing traffic islands and restriping Broadway between Granada Avenue and Fifth Avenue. This work will be performed overnight between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. the following morning.
- Turn movements from Broadway will not be affected.
- Two lanes of traffic on Broadway will be maintained during morning and afternoon peak hours. During off-peak traffic hours, Broadway will be reduced to one lane of traffic.
- Parking will not be permitted along the south side of Broadway between Granada Avenue and Fifth Avenue and along the north side of Broadway near Fifth Avenue.
- ONGOING: Arizona Avenue between Congress Street and Broadway will be closed between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. while Southwest Gas completes utility work. This work is expected to be complete, including roadway paving, by Sunday, April 22. Arizona Avenue will be open to traffic during the day.
- ONGOING: 6th Avenue has been converted to two-way traffic between Broadway and 6th Street, including the 6th Avenue underpass. This traffic control change will help facilitate traffic flow during the closure of Congress Street.
- ONGOING: Congress Street is closed to vehicular traffic between Toole Avenue and Stone Avenue. This curb to curb construction will require 24 hour closures and is expected to be in place for four months.
- ONGOING: Toole Avenue between Congress Street and 5th Avenue is one-way northbound travel only.
- ONGOING: Motorist and cyclists traveling southbound on Toole Avenue must exit at 5th Avenue. Local business access to the Historic Depot will be maintained.
- ONGOING: During Congress Street work, there will be intermittent closures of 5th Avenue and 6th Avenue at Congress Street.
- ONGOING: Scott Avenue is closed at Congress Street for approximately four months. Access to businesses north and south of the intersection, as well as access to parking garages off Scott Avenue, will be maintained.
- Construction on Congress Street includes curb to curb removal of asphalt and major excavation for utility relocations before the roadway is reconstructed with rail. The extensive nature of this work requires full closures 24 hours per day.
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Beginning April 30, University Boulevard will be closed between Bean Avenue and Euclid Avenue. This closure will be in place for approximately four months while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Conductor System.
- The intersections of University Boulevard with Bean Avenue, Second Avenue, Jacobus Avenue and First Avenue will be closed to through traffic.
- Traffic along Euclid Avenue will not be affected during this work.
- Third Avenue will remain open during this work.
- Sidewalk access will be maintained at all times.
- ONGOING: 4th Avenue is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between 6th Street and University Boulevard. This closure will be in place for approximately four months.
- Pedestrian access along 4th Avenue will be maintained at all times.
This area of the project includes 2nd Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- During the week of April 23, 2nd Street from Park Avenue to Olive Road will be closed to facilitate underground utility work.
- Palm Drive access at 2nd Street remains open, with easy access from Speedway Boulevard by taking Mountain Avenue to 2nd Street and heading west to Palm Drive.
- ONGOING: Detours may be in place along 2nd Street from Park Avenue to Mountain Avenue for underground utility work. Please observe all signage when driving or cycling through the work zone.