Update on Downtown Street Closures and Detours for Modern Streetcar Construction
April 4, 2012
Traffic will continue to flow Downtown, even while Congress Street is closed for Modern Streetcar construction. On Monday, April 9, Toole and 6th Avenues will close overnight to allow crews to re-stripe and install temporary traffic signals. Both roads will be able to be used as detours during Congress construction. (See a larger version of the map: Streetcar Congress Closures – opens a pdf.)
Here are all the details from the Modern Streetcar website:
Construction on the Tucson Modern Streetcar line is scheduled to move into the downtown area during the week of April 9, 2012. Construction will require closures of Congress Street, which will reroute traffic throughout downtown. Motorists and bicyclists can expect the following closures and traffic control:
- On April 9 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., Toole Ave. will be closed between Congress St. and Alameda St. to restripe the roadway.
- On April 9 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., 6th Ave. between Broadway Blvd. and Alameda St. will be closed to restripe the roadway and facilitate installation of temporary traffic signals.
- Beginning April 10, 6th Ave. will be converted to two-way traffic between Broadway and Alameda. The roadway will be restriped and three temporary traffic signals will be installed at Broadway Blvd., Pennington St. and Congress St. This traffic control will help facilitate traffic flow during closures of Congress St. and Broadway Blvd.
- Beginning April 10, a four-way stop will be in place at the intersection of Toole Ave./Alameda St./6th Ave. Officers may be on site to help direct traffic through the intersection.
Beginning April 10, Congress St. will be closed to vehicular traffic between Toole Ave. and Stone Ave. This closure will be in place 24 hours per day and will require additional traffic control:
- Toole Ave. between Congress St. and 5th Ave. will be one-way northbound travel only.
- Motorist and cyclists traveling southbound on Toole Ave. must exit at 5th Ave. Local business access to the Historic Depot will be maintained.
- There will be intermittant closures at the intersection of Congress St. and 5th Ave. and 6th Ave.
- The intersection of Scott Ave. and Congress St. will be closed. Access to businesses north and south of the intersection will be maintained.