Streetcar Construction Update for Week of May 14
May 13, 2012
The following information was provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found at TucsonStreetcar.com.
If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project. Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- On-street parking will not be permitted along Broadway between Granada and Fifth Avenues.
- ONGOING: During Congress Street work, there will be intermittent closures of 5th Avenue and 6th Avenue at Congress Street.
- ONGOING: Scott Avenue is closed at Congress Street for approximately four months. Access to businesses north and south of the intersection, as well as access to street parking and garages off Scott Avenue, will be maintained.
- Construction on Congress Street includes curb to curb removal of asphalt and major excavation for utility relocations before the roadway is reconstructed with rail. The extensive nature of this work requires full closures 24 hours per day.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- On Monday, May 14, University Boulevard will be closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Third Avenue and Euclid Avenue and between Euclid and Park Avenues. This closure will be in place for approximately four months while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Conductor System.
- The intersections of University Boulevard with Bean Avenue, Second Avenue, Jacobus Avenue, First Avenue and Tyndal will be closed to through traffic.
- Traffic along Third, Euclid and Park Avenues will not be affected during this work.
- Sidewalk access will be maintained at all times.
- On May 17 and May 18, the contractor will transport welded rail to the work area along Fourth Avenue north of Sixth Street. The rail will be moved from an area near Tenth Street, north on Third Avenue to Seventh Street, west to Fourth Avenue and north through the intersection of Sixth Street. Several segments of rail will be transported each day.
- Officers will be on site to direct traffic at the intersections of Sixth Street at Fourth Avenue and Seventh Street at Fourth Avenue. Motorist should plan for delays.
- On-street parking along Third Street between Tenth and Seventh Streets will not be permitted.
- On-street parking along Seventh Street, between Third and Fourth Avenues will not be permitted.
- On-street parking along Fourth Avenue, between Sixth and Seventh Streets will not be permitted.
- ONGOING: 4th Avenue is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between 6th Street and University Boulevard. This closure will be in place for approximately four months.
- Pedestrian access along 4th Avenue will be maintained at all times.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes 2nd Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- On Monday, May 14, Second Street will be closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Park Avenue and Palm Drive and between Highland and Warren Avenues. This closure will be in place while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Conductor System.
- The intersection of Cherry Avenue at Second Street is closed. Signs will be in place to direct motorists around the work area. This intersection closure will be in place through the summer.
- Access to the Second Street garage will be maintained.
- Pedestrian access across Second Street near Highland Avenue will be maintained.
- On Monday, May 14, First Street will be converted to two-way travel between Mountain and Campbell Avenues. This conversion helps facilitate traffic flow during Second Street construction activities.
- On Wednesday, May 16, Martin Avenue will be converted to two-way travel between First and Second Streets, and Second Street will be converted to two-way travel between Warren and Martin Avenues. These conversions will help facilitate traffic flow during Second Street construction activities.
- Palm Drive access at 2nd Street remains open, with easy access from Speedway Boulevard by taking Mountain Avenue to 2nd Street and heading west to Palm Drive.