Streetcar Construction Update for week of May 7
May 7, 2012
The following information was provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found at TucsonStreetcar.com.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
Starting May 7, the contractor is removing traffic islands and re-striping Broadway between Granada Avenue and Fifth Avenue. Underground utility work will begin as soon as the removals and re-striping are complete. The majority of this work will be performed overnight between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- Turn movements from Broadway will not be affected.
- Two lanes of traffic on Broadway will be maintained during morning and afternoon peak hours. During off-peak traffic hours, Broadway may be reduced to one lane of traffic.
- On-street parking will not be permitted along Broadway between Granada and Fifth Avenues.
- ONGOING: 6th Avenue has been converted to two-way traffic between Broadway and 6th Street, including the 6th Avenue underpass. This traffic control change will help facilitate traffic flow during the closure of Congress Street.
- ONGOING: Congress Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Toole Avenue and Stone Avenue. This curb to curb construction will require 24 hour closures and is expected to be in place for four months.
- ONGOING: Toole Avenue between Congress Street and 5th Avenue is one-way northbound travel only.
- ONGOING: Motorist and cyclists traveling southbound on Toole Avenue must exit at 5th Avenue. Local business access to the Historic Depot will be maintained.
- ONGOING: During Congress Street work, there will be intermittent closures of 5th Avenue and 6th Avenue at Congress Street.
- ONGOING: Scott Avenue is closed at Congress Street for approximately four months. Access to businesses north and south of the intersection, as well as access to street parking and garages off Scott Avenue, will be maintained.
- Construction on Congress Street includes curb to curb removal of asphalt and major excavation for utility relocations before the roadway is reconstructed with rail. The extensive nature of this work requires full closures 24 hours per day.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
The contractor began underground utility work in the intersection of Sixth Street at Fourth Avenue. The work is expected to be complete by May 11, 2012.
- The intersection of Sixth Street at Fourth Avenue will be reduced to one travel lane in each direction.
- As work progresses through the intersection, traffic will be switched back and forth to accommodate workers and equipment in the area.
- Turn movements from Sixth Street to Fourth Avenue may be affected by this work.
- Fourth Avenue north of Sixth Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic.
- ADVANCE NOTICE: On May 14 through May 16, the contractor will transport welded rail segments to the work area along Fourth Avenue north of Sixth Street. The rail will be moved from an area near Tenth Street, north on Third Avenue to Seventh Street, west to Fourth Avenue and north through the intersection of Sixth Street. Several segments of rail will be transported each day.
- Officers will be on site to direct traffic as the rail is moved along the roadway.
- Parking along Third Street between Tenth and Seventh Streets and along Seventh Street, between Third and Fourth Avenues will not be permitted during this operation.
- ONGOING: University Boulevard is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Third Avenue and Euclid Avenue. This closure will be in place for approximately four months while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Conductor System.
- The intersections of University Boulevard with Bean Avenue, Second Avenue, Jacobus Avenue and First Avenue will be closed to through traffic.
- Traffic along Euclid Avenue will not be affected during this work.
- Third Avenue will remain open during this work.
- Sidewalk access will be maintained at all times.
- ONGOING: 4th Avenue is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between 6th Street and University Boulevard. This closure will be in place for approximately four months.
- Pedestrian access along 4th Avenue will be maintained at all times.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes 2nd Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Park Avenue and Palm Drive and between Highland and Cherry Avenues. This closure will be in place while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Conductor System.
- First Street has been converted to two-way traffic between Mountain and Cherry Avenues. This conversion helps facilitate traffic flow during the Second Street construction activities.
- Access to the Second Street garage will be maintained.
- Pedestrian access across Second Street near Highland Avenue will be maintained.
- Palm Drive access at 2nd Street remains open, with easy access from Speedway Boulevard by taking Mountain Avenue to 2nd Street and heading west to Palm Drive.
- ONGOING: Detours may be in place along 2nd Street from Park Avenue to Mountain Avenue for underground utility work. Please observe all signage when driving or cycling through the work zone.