Streetcar Construction Update for week of June 4
June 5, 2012
The following information was provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found at TucsonStreetcar.com.
If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project. Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: During Congress Street work, there will be intermittent closures of 5th Avenue and 6th Avenue at Congress Street.
- ONGOING: Scott Avenue is closed at Congress Street for approximately four months. Access to businesses north and south of the intersection, as well as access to street parking and garages off Scott Avenue, will be maintained.
- ONGOING: On-street parking is not permitted along Broadway between Granada and Fifth Avenues.
- Construction on Congress Street includes curb to curb removal of asphalt and major excavation for utility relocations before the roadway is reconstructed with rail. The extensive nature of this work requires full closures 24 hours per day.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The contractor will transport additional rail to the Fourth Avenue work site north of Sixth Street on Wednesday, June 6. The rail will be moved from an area near Tenth Street, north on Third Avenue to Seventh Street, west to Fourth Avenue and north through the intersection of Sixth Street. Several segments of rail will be transported. This activity is planned to take place between 5 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Officers will be on site to direct traffic at all intersections along the transport route. Motorist should plan for delays.
- On-street parking along Third Avenue between Tenth and Seventh Streets will not be permitted during the above-referenced day and time of rail transport.
- On-street parking along Seventh Street, between Third and Fourth Avenues will not be permitted during the above referenced day and time of rail transport.
- On-street parking along Fourth Avenue, between Sixth and Seventh Streets will not be permitted during the above referenced day and time of rail transport.
- During the week of June 4, the contractor will continue working on waterline tie-ins along University Boulevard, between Park Avenue and Euclid Avenue. Waterline work will begin at 4 a.m.
- The contractor will continue installing track along Fourth Avenue from University Boulevard to Sixth Street during the week of June 4. Concrete is scheduled to be delivered at 2 a.m. on Tuesday, June 5 and Thursday, June 7.
- ONGOING: Euclid Avenue at University Boulevard is reduced to one travel lane in each direction. The temporary lane restrictions allow the contractor to extend sewer and water upgrades through the intersection. The lane restrictions will be in place 24-hours per day through the end of June 2012.
- ONGOING: The contractor is preparing the roadway for rail placement and installation of pole foundations. The intersection of Sixth Street at Fourth Avenue will be reduced to one travel lane in each direction. This lane restriction is expected to be in place until mid-July 2012.
- Left turn movements from westbound Sixth Street to Fourth Avenue are not permitted. Fourth Avenue businesses located south of Sixth Street can be reached by using Third or Fifth Avenues.
- ONGOING: University Boulevard is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Third Avenue and Euclid Avenue and between Euclid and Park Avenues. This closure will be in place while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System.
- The intersections of University Boulevard with Bean Avenue, Second Avenue, Jacobus Avenue, First Avenue and Tyndall will be closed to through traffic.
- Traffic along Third, Euclid and Park Avenues will not be affected during this work.
- Sidewalk access will be maintained at all times.
- ONGOING: 4th Avenue is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between 6th Street and University Boulevard. This closure will be in place for approximately four months.
- Pedestrian access along 4th Avenue will be maintained at all times.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes 2nd Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- On June 4, 2012, the contractor will begin installing water mainline on Cherry Avenue between Speedway Boulevard and Helen Street. This underground utility work will require the closure of Cherry Avenue for approximately three weeks.
- The intersection of Cherry Avenue and Helen Street will remain open throughout most of this work.
- Signs will be in place to direct motorists around the work area.
- Northbound turn movements from Speedway Boulevard onto Cherry Avenue will not be permitted.
- There will be intermittent restrictions of the westbound Speedway curb lane, between Warren and Vine Avenues during this operation.
- On June 4, 2012, Second Street will be reduced to one eastbound travel lane only between Palm and Highland Avenues.
- Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained.
- Highland Avenue will be opened to allow northbound vehicular travel between First and Second Streets. Motorists exiting the Second Street Garage will use the northbound Highland lanes to depart the area.
- Beginning at 10 p.m. on Wednesday, June 6 through 4 a.m. the following morning, Second Street will be closed between Palm and Highland Avenues. This temporary closure will allow the contractor to install pole foundations for the Overhead Conductor System.
- ONGOING: Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Park Avenue and Palm Drive and between Highland and Warren Avenues. This closure will be in place while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System.
- The intersection of Cherry Avenue at Second Street is closed. Signs will be in place to direct motorists around the work area. This intersection closure will be in place through the summer.
- Access to the Second Street garage will be maintained.
- Pedestrian access across Second Street near Highland Avenue will be maintained.
- ONGOING: Palm Drive access at 2nd Street remains open, with easy access from Speedway Boulevard by taking Mountain Avenue to 2nd Street and heading west to Palm Drive.