Streetcar Construction Update for week of June 25
June 25, 2012
The following information is provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found online at TucsonStreetcar.com.
If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project. Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. *Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.*
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- During the week of June 25, the contractor will begin sewer removals and replacements along Broadway between Church and Sixth Avenues.
- Weekday work hours will be from 7:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning.
- Broadway will be reduced to one travel lane during the overnight work hours. The roadway will be opened to two travel lanes from 6 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. each day.
- Turn movements from northbound Scott Avenue onto Broadway will not be permitted during the scheduled work hours. Turn movements will not be restricted during the day.
- Motorists traveling southbound on Stone Avenue will be required to turn left at Broadway during the scheduled overnight work hours. Through traffic will not be restricted during the day.
- ONGOING: Congress Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Toole and Church Avenues. This closure is in place to allow the contractor to remove the existing roadway, complete underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead contact System (OCS).
- With the exception of Scott Avenue, all other Congress Street intersection of will remain open the majority of the time.
- On-street parking will not be permitted along Broadway between Granada and Fifth Avenues.
- Scott Avenue is closed at Congress Street.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- During the week of June 25, the contractor will begin compacting the final aggregate base course material along Fourth Avenue, between Sixth Street and University Boulevard in preparation for paving, which is scheduled for Saturday, June 30 and Monday, July 2.
- Paving operations will take place each day from 5 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians should be aware of large equipment entering and existing the work area.
- ONGOING: Euclid Avenue at University Boulevard is reduced to one travel lane in each direction for sewer and waterline work as well as rail installation.
- ONGOING: The intersection of Sixth Street at Fourth Avenue is reduced to one travel lane in each direction.
- Left turns from westbound Sixth Street to Fourth Avenue are prohibited. Fourth Avenue businesses located south of Sixth Street can be reached by using Third or Fifth Avenues.
- ONGOING: University Boulevard is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Third Avenue and Euclid Avenue and between Euclid and Park Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- The intersections of University Boulevard with Bean Avenue, Second Avenue, Jacobus Avenue, First Avenue and Tyndall will be closed to through traffic.
- Third, Euclid and Park Avenues may have intermittent lane restrictions during this work.
- ONGOING: 4th Avenue is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between 6th Street and University Boulevard.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes 2nd Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- On Wednesday, June 27 and Thursday, June 28 from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. the intersection of Mountain Avenue and Second Street will be closed while the contractor completes utility work in the roadway. The intersection will be open during the day.
- ONGOING: Cherry Avenue is closed between Speedway Boulevard and Helen Street for waterline work.
- The intersection of Cherry Avenue and Helen Street will remain open throughout most of this work; however, there may be intermittent lane restrictions to accommodate workers and equipment.
- There will be intermittent travel restrictions of the westbound Speedway curb lane between Warren and Vine Avenues during this operation.
- ONGOING: Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Park and Mountain Avenues and between Highland and Warren Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- The intersections of Second Street with Palm Drive and Olive Road are closed.
- Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained.
- Highland Avenue will remain open to allow northbound vehicular travel between First and Second Streets.
- The intersection of Cherry Avenue at Second Street is closed.
- The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.