Streetcar Construction Update for week of July 16
The following information is provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found online at TucsonStreetcar.com.
If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project. Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. *Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.*
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- On Sunday, July 15, the intersections of Congress Street at Stone and Sixth Avenues will be closed from 4 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning. The temporary closure allows the contractor to complete traffic signal work and curb, sidewalk, and asphalt removals in the area.
- On Monday, July 16, through Thursday, July 19, nighttime traffic signal work will continue at the Congress Street and Stone Avenue intersection, then progress to the Congress Street and Sixth Avenue intersection. These intersections (Stone Avenue, then Sixth Avenue) will be closed from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. during this work.
- On Monday, July 16, through Thursday, July 19, the contractor will complete nighttime water work on Broadway Avenue. The work will begin just west of 5th Avenue, and progress westward along Broadway. Lane restrictions will be in place from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning.
- ONGOING: Congress Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Toole and Church Avenues. This closure is in place to allow the contractor to remove the existing roadway, complete underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System (OCS).
- With the exception of Scott Avenue, all other Congress Street intersection of will remain open the majority of the time.
- ONGOING: On-street parking will not be permitted along Broadway between Granada and Fifth Avenues.
- ONGOING: Scott Avenue is closed at Congress Street.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Fourth Avenue between Sixth Street and University Boulevard will be open to vehicular, bicycle and pedestrian traffic. The contractor will continue working in areas along this section of roadway completing the installation of the OCS and Streetcar stops.
- Motorists should expect intermittent lane and parking restrictions on Fourth Avenue between Sixth Street and University Boulevard.
- Left turns from eastbound Sixth Street to Fourth Avenue are prohibited.
- On Monday, July 16, Fourth Avenue between Ninth and Sixth Streets will be closed to all vehicular and bicycle traffic. Sidewalk access to businesses will be maintained at all times.
- Beginning at 3 a.m. on Monday, July 16, parking will not be permitted on Fourth Avenue, between Sixth and Ninth Streets.
- Southbound turn movements from Sixth Street to Fourth Avenue will not be permitted.
- Fourth Avenue businesses located south of Sixth Street can be reached by using Third or Fifth Avenues.
- The intersection of Sixth Street at Fourth Avenue is reduced to one travel lane in each direction.
- Left turn movements from eastbound Sixth Street will not be permitted.
- Southbound turn movements from Sixth Street to Fourth Avenue will not be allowed.
- ONGOING: University Boulevard is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Third Avenue and Euclid Avenue and between Euclid and Park Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- The intersections of University Boulevard with Bean Avenue, Second Avenue, Jacobus Avenue, First Avenue and Tyndall will be closed to through traffic.
- Third, Euclid and Park Avenues may have intermittent lane restrictions during this work.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes 2nd Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- During the week of July 16, the contractor will continue work on the installation of a 16-inch waterline along Speedway Boulevard, between the Warren Avenue Underpass and Martin Avenue. Motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists should be prepared for temporary closures and restrictions along Speedway Boulevard, between Cherry and Campbell Avenues.
- ONGOING: The contractor is continuing work on the installation of a 16-inch waterline along Martin Avenue between Second Street and Speedway Boulevard. Motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists should prepare for temporary closures and restrictions in the area.
- The intersection of First Street and Martin Avenue is closed. Access to residences and businesses on First Street east and west of the intersection will be maintained.
- ONGOING: Helen Street is closed between Martin and Cherry Avenues.
- Helen Street between Cherry and Warren Avenues will be closed until mid August.
- Helen Street between Warren and Martin Avenues will be closed through October 2012.
- The intersection of Cherry Avenue and Helen Street will remain open throughout most of this work; however, there may be intermittent lane restrictions to accommodate workers and equipment.
- ONGING: The Warren Avenue Underpass is closed to all pedestrian and bicycle traffic. The closure is expected to be in place while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
- ONGOING: Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Park and Mountain Avenues and between Highland and Warren Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- The intersections of Second Street with Palm Drive and Olive Road are closed.
- Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained.
- Highland Avenue will remain open to allow northbound vehicular travel between First and Second Streets.
- The intersection of Cherry Avenue at Second Street is closed.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.