Streetcar Construction Update for week of July 30
July 30, 2012
The following information is provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found online at TucsonStreetcar.com.
If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project. Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. *Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.*
The construction activity information is subject to change at any time.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Beginning on Sunday, July 29, the contractor will continue underground utility work along Broadway. Motorists should anticipate nightly lane restrictions between Fifth and Church Avenues. Restrictions will be in place from 7:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning.
- Stone Avenue and Sixth Avenue intersections will be closed at Congress for water work.
- On Sunday, July 29, work hours will be from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning.
- On Monday, July 30 and Tuesday, July 31, work hours will be from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning.
- On Monday, July 30, there will be intermittent sidewalk restrictions on the south side of Congress at Arizona Avenue. These restrictions will be in place while the contractor completes underground utility work in the area.
- On Tuesday, July 31 and Wednesday, August 1, water tie-in work at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Broadway will require the intersection to be closed from midnight until noon.
- During this work Broadway will be reduced to one eastbound travel lane through the Fifth Avenue intersection from 7:30 p.m. until 6 a.m. the following morning.
- North and southbound Fifth Avenue will be closed at Broadway.
- Vehicles may only turn east onto Broadway.
- ADVANCE NOTICE: On Monday, August 6, the contractor will begin the repair and replacement of a sewer line that extends across Broadway between Church and Stone Avenues. Current conditions of the sewer lines and manholes will require extensive underground work. The boundaries of the work area and safety considerations will require Broadway between Church and Stone Avenues to be completely closed. The closure will be in effect 24 hours-per-day and is expected to be in place approximately one month. At times, the intersection of Church Avenue and Broadway will be closed to northbound and southbound travel while the contractor works on the manhole located in the intersection. The intersections closures may be in place 24 hours-per-day.
- The City has been notified that other utility work, performed by a private contractor and unrelated to the Tucson Streetcar Project, will be occurring at the same time as the Church Avenue and Broadway intersection sewer repair and replacement. The City has planned their work and detour route in consideration of this work.
- Broadway through traffic will be detoured south on Church Avenue to Ochoa Street or McCormick Street, east to Stone or Scott Avenues, and north back to Broadway.
- To assist with the flow of detoured traffic, four-way stops will be in place at the intersections of Ochoa Street and Stone Avenue and McCormick Street and Stone Avenue.
- At times, the intersection of Church Avenue and Broadway will be closed to northbound and southbound travel. Directional signs will be in place to detour motorists around the work area.
- Turn movements from eastbound Broadway to northbound Church will be maintained at all times.
- Access to the underground parking garage for tenants of 1 South Church Avenue will be maintained.
- Parking will not be allowed along the west side of Church Avenue between Broadway and Jackson Street while the detour is in place.
- Sidewalk access will be maintained at all times, however, north and south bound Church Avenue pedestrians must use the crosswalk on the west side of the intersection to cross Broadway while intersection work is under way.
- ONGOING: Congress Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Toole and Church Avenues. This closure is in place to allow the contractor to remove the existing roadway, complete underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System (OCS).
- With the exception of Scott Avenue, all other Congress Street intersections of will remain open the majority of the time.
- ONGOING: On-street parking will not be permitted along Broadway between Granada and Fifth Avenues.
- ONGOING: Scott Avenue is closed at Congress Street.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- On Saturday, July 28, from 10 a.m. until noon, the contractor will transport welded rail to the work area along University Boulevard between Park and Euclid Avenues. Several segments of rail will be transported.
- Officers will be on site to direct traffic at the intersection of University Boulevard and Euclid Avenue while the rail is pulled through the intersection. Motorist should expect short delays during this operation
- On Sunday, July 29, the contractor will begin the operation to embed the rail in concrete along the section of University Boulevard between Euclid and Park Avenue. Trucks are scheduled to deliver concrete from 9 p.m. Sunday, July 29 until 9 a.m. the following morning and on Wednesday, August 1 from 9 p.m. until 9 a.m. the following morning.
- ONGOING: Fourth Avenue between Ninth and Sixth Streets is closed to all vehicular and bicycle traffic. Sidewalk access to businesses will be maintained at all times.
- Parking will not be permitted on Fourth Avenue, between Sixth and Ninth Streets.
- Southbound turn movements from Sixth Street to Fourth Avenue will not be permitted.
- Fourth Avenue businesses located south of Sixth Street can be reached by using Third or Fifth Avenues.
- ONGOING: Fourth Avenue between Sixth Street and University Boulevard is open to vehicular, bicycle and pedestrian traffic. The contractor continues working in areas along this section of roadway completing the installation of the OCS and Streetcar stops.
- Motorists should expect intermittent lane and parking restrictions on Fourth Avenue between Sixth Street and University Boulevard.
- Left turns from eastbound Sixth Street to Fourth Avenue are prohibited.
- The intersection of Sixth Street at Fourth Avenue is reduced to one travel lane in each direction.
- Left turn movements from eastbound Sixth Street will not be permitted.
- Southbound turn movements from Sixth Street to Fourth Avenue will not be allowed.
- ONGOING: University Boulevard is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Third Avenue and Euclid Avenue and between Euclid and Park Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- The intersections of University Boulevard with Bean Avenue, Second Avenue, Jacobus Avenue, First Avenue and Tyndall will be closed to through traffic.
- Third, Euclid and Park Avenues may have intermittent lane restrictions during this work.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes 2nd Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- During the week of July 30, the contractor will continue work on the installation of a 16-inch waterline along Speedway Boulevard, between the Warren Avenue Underpass and Martin Avenue. Motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists should be prepared for temporary closures and restrictions along Speedway Boulevard, between Cherry and Campbell Avenues. To avoid delays, motorists should plan to use an alternate route when possible. The work is expected to take approximately three weeks to complete.
- ONGOING: The contractor is continuing work on the installation of a 16-inch waterline along Martin Avenue between Second Street and Speedway Boulevard. Motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists should prepare for temporary closures and restrictions in the area.
- ONGOING: Helen Street is closed between Martin and Cherry Avenues.
- Helen Street between Cherry and Warren Avenues will be closed until mid August.
- Helen Street between Warren and Martin Avenues will be closed through October 2012.
- The intersection of Cherry Avenue and Helen Street will remain open throughout most of this work; however, there may be intermittent lane restrictions to accommodate workers and equipment.
- ONGING: The Warren Avenue Underpass is closed to all pedestrian and bicycle traffic. The closure is expected to be in place while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
- ONGOING: Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Park and Mountain Avenues and between Highland and Warren Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- The intersections of Second Street with Palm Drive and Olive Road are closed.
- Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained.
- Highland Avenue will remain open to allow northbound vehicular travel between First and Second Streets.
- The intersection of Cherry Avenue at Second Street is closed.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.