Full Closure of Church Ave & Broadway Intersection Begins Mon, Aug 6
This is a special Construction Update for the City of Tucson Modern Streetcar Project. If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project.
Sun Link Tucson Streetcar Special Update
It has been a consistent request that we complete as much of the construction activities as possible during summer months to minimize impacts to the traveling public and to businesses. One of the major elements of this construction-related work to be completed during this summer is the replacement of a major sewer line along Broadway, between Church and Stone Avenues.
The sewer line replacement between Church Avenue and Stone Avenue will require a complete 24 hour a day closure of Broadway. This intersection will be closed at approximately 6 a.m. on Monday, August 6, 2012 until mid-September 2012.
Eastbound Broadway traffic will be detoured around the closure. A construction notice with specific details will be distributed prior to the closure. Team members will work closely with adjacent businesses to prepare for this closure and ensure access is maintained. The work schedule is as follows:
- Monday, August 6 through mid-September – Sewer line work at the intersection of Broadway and Church Avenue, with full closure of Broadway between Church Avenue and Stone Avenue in effect around the clock.
- Access to the underground parking garage for tenants of 1 South Church Avenue will be maintained.
- Eastbound Broadway traffic will be detoured south on Church Avenue to Ochoa Street or McCormick Street, east to Stone and Scott Avenues, and north back to Broadway. Tucson Police officers will be on-site to assist with directing traffic.
- To assist with the flow of detoured traffic, four-way stops will be in place at the intersections of Ochoa Street at Stone Avenue and McCormick Street at Stone Avenue.
- Turn movements from eastbound Broadway to northbound Church will be maintained during daytime hours. Intermittent nighttime restrictions may be implemented.
- Parking will not be allowed along Church Avenue between Broadway and Jackson Street while the detour is in place.
- Sidewalk access will be maintained at all times, however, north and southbound Church Avenue pedestrians must use the crosswalk on the west side of the intersection to cross Broadway while intersection work is under way.
Those wishing to access destinations in the downtown area should consider using north-south connections to enter downtown. The project has been working with the Tucson Convention Center and other downtown venues to help accommodate special events during this period.
(Below is a jpg of the closures and detours. CLICK HERE to view a full sized pdf.)
Full Closure of Euclid Avenue and University Boulevard Intersection
To lessen the impact to the traveling public during construction, the contractor has expedited the time frame for the placement of rail on University Boulevard between Park and Euclid Avenues, requiring the complete closure of the intersection of Euclid Avenue and University Boulevard beginning at 3 a.m. on Wednesday, August 8, 2012 until approximately 3 a.m. on Monday, August 13, 2012, weather permitting.
The full closure of the intersection will allow the contractor to install rail, pour the concrete track slab and pave from Euclid Avenue to Park Avenue. Due to the extensive nature of this work the intersection must be fully closed. The traveling public is reminded that:
- This is a full closure, in place 24 hours a day. You can expect to see crews working extended hours and weekends.
- Access to The University of Arizona Visitor’s Center, the Tyndall Avenue Garage and Main Gate Garage will be maintained.
- Motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes when approaching this intersection.
- Message boards will be in place to direct motorists around the work zone.
- On Monday, August 13, at approximately 3 a.m. Euclid Avenue will reopen to one travel lane in each direction while the contractor completes work in the area.
- Pedestrian and business access will be maintained.
Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.