Congress Street to Close at Sixth Avenue
September 18, 2012
On Thursday, September 20, from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning and at 10 p.m. on Friday, September 21 through 5 a.m. Monday, October 1, the intersection of Congress Street at Sixth Avenue will be closed. The closure will allow the contractor to remove the existing asphalt and concrete pavement, prepare the roadway for the aggregate base course, install rail through the intersection, pour the concrete track bed and repave the roadway. This intersection work is being coordinated with ongoing Congress Street construction activities so that when rail installation and paving is complete, it will provide more opportunities for increased pedestrian access.
- To complete the work during the scheduled closure time, there may be times when the contractor works 24-hour shifts. Removal of the existing asphalt roadway requires the use of jack hammers. Sound levels of this and all other scheduled nighttime construction activities will be monitored by the Streetcar Project team. Businesses and residents in the area have been notified of the upcoming work schedule.
- East and west pedestrian access will be maintained during the intersection closure. North and south access is available at Fifth and Stone Avenues.
- Sun Tran bus riders should contact a Sun Tran representative with inquiries regarding possible affected routes.
- Motorists should watch for signs directing them around the work area.
- Most parking along Sixth Avenue north and south of the Congress Street intersection will be maintained.