Santa Cruz Harvest Dinner Will Celebrate National Food Day
The Santa Cruz Valley Heritage Alliance and Honorary Chair Jim Griffith invite you to the second annual Santa Cruz Harvest Dinner, the kick-off event to a week-long community celebration of Food Day 2012.
The harvest dinner will be served from 4 to 8 p.m. on Oct. 21, at Mercado San Agustín, 100 S. Avenida del Convento. Advance ticket purchase is required by Oct. 15.
Food Day is a nation-wide event that brings together families, community organizers, educators, farmers, chefs and local officials as a united front for change in our food system.
The Santa Cruz Harvest Dinner features:
• A menu based on local and heritage food products.
• A tour of Tucson’s Birthplace, the Mission Garden.
• Wine tasting featuring Arizona Hops and Vines, Callaghan Vineyards, Canelo Hills Vineyard & Winery, Dos Cabezas Wineworks, and Lightning Ridge Cellars.
• Beer tasting from Borderlands Brewing Company, featuring white Sonora wheat heritage grain, and Dragoon Brewing Co.
• Silent auction.
• Educational information to increase community awareness of the region’s rich agricultural traditions.
• Remarks from “Big” Jim Griffith, the godfather of Tucson Meet Yourself.
The Santa Cruz Harvest Dinner begins with appetizers and a tour of the Mission Garden at the base of “A” Mountain. The Mission Garden is a re-creation of the Spanish Colonial walled garden that was part of Tucson’s historic San Agustín Mission.
Rebuilt on its original site, the Garden features heirloom plants, interpreting 4,000 years of Tucson agriculture.
The main course will be served a few blocks north at the Mercado San Agustín. The Mercado San Agustín is Tucson’s first public market, located at the corner of the Avenida del Convento and Congress Street, on the west side of the Santa Cruz River, and is home to the Thursday Santa Cruz River Farmers Market.
When: Sunday, October 21, 2012, 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Where: Mercado San Agustín, 100 S. Avenida del Convento
Cost: $60 per person ($30 is tax deductible)
RSVP: Advance ticket purchase is required by Oct. 15. Visit the website or call 520-882-4405. Seating is limited.
The dinner is sponsored by Agustín Brasserie, Archaeology Southwest, Desert Archeology, Inc., FICO/Green Valley Pecan Co., Friends of Regina Romero, Mercado San Agustín, Santa Cruz Valley Heritage Alliance, and Tucson Farmers’ Markets.
The Santa Cruz Valley Heritage Alliance is a non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization whose mission is to connect people to the cultural, historic, and natural treasures of the Santa Cruz Valley through education, preservation and promotion of its unique resources.