Streetcar Construction Update for Week of Nov. 5
November 4, 2012
The following information is provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found online at TucsonStreetcar.com.
Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
The following schedules are subject to change due to weather conditions and/or equipment failure.
I-10 and West End of Line
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- On Friday November 9, 2012, the contractor will begin work to install a water main across the westbound I-10 frontage road at Cushing Street. The work will involve water main placement across the frontage road, and demolition and removal of some pavement. There will be partial closures of the westbound frontage road.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The Congress Street and Stone Avenue intersection is closed through Wednesday, November 7 and will re-open to regular traffic by 6 a.m. Thursday, November 8, 2012. The temporary closure of the intersection will allow the contractor to safely install water lines across the intersection.
- The closure will be in place 24 hours a day through Wednesday, November 7.
- East and west pedestrian access across Stone Avenue will be maintained.
- As work progresses through the intersection, north and south pedestrian access will be alternated between the east and west side of Stone Avenue.
- Alternate routes for motorists travelling southbound on Stone Avenue, north of Congress Street, are: Alameda Street, west to Church Avenue and south to Broadway & Pennington Street, east to Scott or Sixth Avenues and then south to Broadway.
- Parking along Stone Avenue south of Congress Street will not be available.
- Handicap access and drop off will be available on the southwest corner of Pennington Street and Stone Avenue and on the northeast corner of Church Avenue and Congress Street.
- Temporary loading zones will be available at the southwest corner of Pennington Street and Stone Avenue.
- Work on completion of the new sewer mainline installation and HCS connections on Congress Street, between Stone and Church Avenues, is nearing completion. Waterline improvements have begun.
- ADVANCE NOTICE: On Monday, November 12, 2012, the contractor will begin the installation of the redesigned sewer system on Broadway, between Church and Stone Avenues. The work will require the complete closure of Broadway between Church and Stone Avenues.
- Broadway and Church Avenue traffic will be detoured around the work area.
- Access to the One South Church parking garage will be maintained.
- Detailed information will be provided prior to the work beginning.
- Caylor Construction, a private developer unrelated to the Sun Link Streetcar project, has begun construction of a 6-story building at the northeast corner of Broadway and Stone Avenue. Motorists should watch for workers and equipment in the area.
- ONGOING: Congress Street is open to one travel lane between Toole and Scott Avenues.
- Parking will not be permitted between Fifth and Sixth Avenues on Congress Street.
- Most fencing in the area has been removed. Some of the remaining fences are protecting work sites of private business improvements in the area.
- ONGOING: The contractor is continuing work on the installation water lines of Granada Avenue, between Congress and Cushing Streets. Access to the Federal Court complex and the Tucson Convention Center will be maintained.
- As work progresses over the next several months, traffic movement will be alternated between the north and south bound lanes of travel in order to accommodate work in the area. One travel lane in each direction will be maintained. Most work along this section of roadway will take place overnight between 7:30 p.m. and 6 a.m. the following morning.
- ONGOING: The contractor will continue underground utility work along Broadway. Motorists should anticipate nightly lane restrictions between Fifth and Granada Avenues with traffic possibly reduced to one travel lane through the area. Restrictions will be in place from 7:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning.
- On-street parking will not be permitted along Broadway between Granada and Fifth Avenues.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: Fourth Avenue from Seventh Street to Ninth Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic.
- The intersection of Ninth Street and Fourth Avenue is open to southbound turn movements only. Ninth Street, west of Fourth Avenue, is closed to all vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian traffic while construction of the Maintenance and Storage facility is underway.
- ONGOING: The intersection of Third Avenue and University Boulevard is closed to through traffic. The closure allows the contractor to complete work along University Boulevard from the west side of Fourth Avenue to east of Third Avenue. The scheduled work includes; roadway excavation, drainage, preparing subgrade and placement of the aggregate base coarse, construction of curb and ramps, curved rail and switch installation, pouring the concrete track slabs and paving. The work is expected to take approximately seven-weeks to complete. University Boulevard from the west side of Fourth Avenue to just east of Third Avenue will be closed until December 6, 2012.
- Vehicle and bicycle traffic along north and southbound Third and Fourth Avenues and east and westbound University Boulevard will be detoured around the work area.
- Pedestrian access to all residents and businesses in the area will be maintained.
- Parking north and south of the Third and Fourth Avenue intersections with University Boulevard will be maintained.
- ONGOING: Construction of the High School Wash box culvert located in an area along Fourth Avenue between Seventh and Eighth Streets has begun. Construction of the box culvert and roadway improvements is expected to be complete by December 3, 2012.
- ONGOING: The intersection of Eighth Street and Fourth Avenue is closed. Access to the Maloney’s and O’Malley’s parking lot can be reached by using the Eighth Street and Herbert Avenue entrance.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes 2nd Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- On Sunday, November 4 through Thursday, November 8, the intersection of Park Avenue and University Boulevard will be closed each night from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. This temporary intersection closure allows the contractor to complete improvements to existing sewer facilities and water lines in the area.
- No through traffic or turn movements will be allowed through the intersection between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. the following morning.
- Beginning the week of November 5, 2012, the intersection of Warren Avenue and Second Street will be closed while the contractor installs curved rail, pours the concrete track slab and paves the roadway.
- Traffic will not be permitted through the intersection.
- Access to residences and businesses will be maintained.
- The intersection of First Street and Warren Avenue will reopen to traffic prior to the Warren Avenue and Second Street intersection closure.
- On Thursday, November 8, Second Street, from Palm Drive to Highland Avenue will be reopened to vehicular, bicycle and pedestrian access.
- Motorists should watch for intermittent lane closures during OCS pole installation and streetcar stop stations.
- James E. Rogers way will convert back to one-way westbound travel.
- ADVANCE NOTICE: On Monday, November 12 through Wednesday, November 21, Park Avenue from University Boulevard to Second Street will be closed. The closure will allow the contractor to begin sidewalk removals, electrical work and placement of pole foundations.
- The closure includes the intersections of Park Avenue and University Boulevard and Park Avenue and Second Street.
- ADVANCE NOTICE: On Monday, November 26, Park Avenue from University Boulevard to Second Street will be closed. This closure will be in place while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. This closure is expected to be in place through February 2013.
- ONGOING: Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Cherry and Warren Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained.
- ONGOING: Helen Street, between Warren and Martin Avenues will be closed through December 2012.
- ONGOING: The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is expected to be in place through February 2013, while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.