Economic impact of Santa
December 21, 2012
NPR had a wonderful piece on the radio the other day, calculating the economic impact of Santa if he did not have the aid of magic.
Here are just a few of the positions Santa would need to fill to pull off Christmas.
* 46 international distribution centers, to allow Santa to reload as he crosses the globe. That means 400,000 workers for loading presents onto Santa’s sleigh.
* 60,000 workers to develop optimized flight plans and communicate with the FAA, secure flyover rights, etc.
* 7,000 people monitoring demand and tweaking his route in real time.
* 100 meteorologists to make sure Santa doesn’t fly into a blizzard.
* 40,000 people to help Santa clear customs.
Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season!