Streetcar Construction Update for Week of Dec. 24
December 25, 2012
The following information is provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found online at TucsonStreetcar.com.
Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
The following schedules are subject to change due to weather conditions and/or equipment failure.
In honor of the Holidays, there will be no construction related activities from 5 p.m., Friday December 21, 2012 through 6 a.m. Wednesday, December 26, 2012 and also from 5 p.m. Friday December 28, 2012 through 6 a.m. Wednesday, January 2, 2013.
The Sun Link Streetcar Project Team wishes each of you a happy and healthy holiday season.
NEW WORK ACTIVITIES
The dates and times of the scheduled work may change due to inclement weather.
- The intersection of University Boulevard and Third Avenue has been reopened to bicycle and vehicular traffic.
- On Friday, December 21, 2012, Broadway, between Church and Stone Avenues, will reopen to vehicular traffic.
- On Wednesday, December 26, 2012, Broadway, between Granada and Scott Avenues will be reduced to one travel lane. The lane restriction will be in place to allow access for utility and track installation. Restriction will continue into Spring 2013.
- On Wednesday, December 26, 2012, southbound Church Avenue will be closed between Congress Street and Broadway. The closure will allow the contractor to complete installation of water line across the roadway and install electric conduit and traffic signals. The closure will be in place through January 28, 2013.
- The southbound lanes will be opened to through traffic during the New Year Holiday, beginning 6 p.m. Friday December 28, 2012 through 5 a.m. Wednesday, January 2, 2013.
- Northbound travel will not be restricted.
- Traffic along eastbound Congress Street, between Avenida del Convento and the Santa Cruz River Bridge, will be shifted to the center turn lane while the contractor installs utilities and rail along the roadway. The traffic shift is expected to be in place through March, 2013.
- Crews will begin roadway removals and underground utility work along Avenida del Convento south of Congress Street.
- Avenida del Convento will be closed from Paseo de los Zanjeros south to Cushing Street. Turn movements from Congress Street to Avenida del Convento will be permitted.
- The contractor is installing traffic signal foundations and poles along Congress Street at the intersections between Church and Scott Avenues. Motorists should be prepared for possible lane restrictions as work progresses through the area.
- The contractor is completing the installation of water lines along Congress Street between Stone and Church Avenues. Businesses in the area may experience temporary water outages when their facilities are transferred over to the new system. The waterline installation is expected to be complete in early January 2013. The contractor will also begin constructing foundations for the Overhead Contact System and installing traffic signal poles at the intersections of Congress Street with Stone and Church Avenues.
- ADVANCE NOTICE: The westbound frontage road, between 22nd and Congress Streets will be closed to allow the contractor to install water line and rail across the roadway. Local traffic only will be allowed between 22nd and Simpson Streets. Motorist should watch for signs directing them around the work area. This temporary closure will be in place January 2, 2013 through January 28, 2013.
I-10 and West End of Line
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. The ongoing traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The streetcar contractor continues infrastructure-related work at the westbound I-10 frontage road at Cushing Street. Work includes placing a water main across the frontage road and removing pavement. Work is expected to be complete by the end of January 2013.
- Cushing Street, between Granada and the westbound frontage road, will be open to westbound travel only.
- No right turns will be permitted from the westbound frontage road to Cushing Street.
- Access across the frontage road from westbound Cushing Street is not permitted.
- Access from Cushing Street to South Sentinel Avenue is not permitted.
- The contractor is continuing work installing water lines on Granada Avenue between Congress and Cushing Streets. Access to the Federal Court complex and the Tucson Convention Center will be maintained.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. The ongoing traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Access to the many events and activities in the downtown area can be reached from the north by using either Stone Avenue or Sixth Avenue; from the east by using Broadway or Aviation Parkway; from the south by using Euclid Avenue and turning left on Broadway; or from the west by using 22nd Street to Euclid Avenue and turning left on Broadway.
- Congress Street between Church and Granada Avenues is closed. Work includes replacing a water main, upgrading electrical, installing track and paving. A full, 24-hour street closure will be in place through the end of January.
- Access to Pennington Street from eastbound Broadway will be maintained as long as possible; however, there will be short intermittent closures to allow crews to install water lines and rail across the roadway. Advance notice will be provided prior to restricting access to Pennington Street.
- Entering Congress Street from the Pima County Complex parking garage access road will not be permitted.
- Congress Street is open to one travel lane between Toole and Scott Avenues.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. The ongoing traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Park Avenue from University Boulevard to Second Street is closed. This closure will be in place while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System (OCS). This closure is expected to be in place through February 2013. Access to all parking facilities in the area will be maintained.
- The intersection of James E. Rogers Way and Park Avenue is closed. The closure allows the contractor to complete underground utility work and install rail along Park Avenue. The closure is expected to be in place through January 21, 2013.
- The intersection of Ninth Street and Fourth Avenue is open to northbound and southbound turn movements only. Ninth Street, west of Fourth Avenue, is closed to all vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian traffic while construction of the Maintenance and Storage facility is underway.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes Second Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. The ongoing traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The intersection of Warren Avenue and Second Street is closed while the contractor installs curved rail, pours the concrete track slab and paves the roadway.
- Traffic will not be permitted through the intersection.
- Access for residents and businesses will be maintained.
- Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Cherry and Warren Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained.
- Helen Street, between Warren and Martin Avenues, will be closed through December 2012.
- The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is expected to be in place through May 2013 while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.