Streetcar Construction Update for Week of Dec. 3
December 1, 2012
The following information is provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found online at TucsonStreetcar.com.
Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
The following schedules are subject to change due to weather conditions and/or equipment failure.
I-10 and West End of Line
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: The streetcar contractor continues infrastructure-related work at the westbound I-10 frontage road at Cushing Street. Work includes placing a water main across the frontage road and removing pavement. Work is expected to be complete by the end of January 2013.
- Cushing Street, between Granada and the westbound frontage road, is open to westbound travel only.
- No right turns are permitted from the westbound frontage road to Cushing Street.
- Access across the frontage road from westbound Cushing Street is not permitted.
- Access from Cushing Street to South Sentinel Avenue is not permitted.
- ONGOING: The contractor is continuing work installing water lines on Granada Avenue between Congress and Cushing Streets. Access to the Federal Court complex and the Tucson Convention Center is maintained.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Access to the many events and activities in the downtown area can be reached from the north by using either Stone Avenue or Sixth Avenue; from the east by using Broadway or Aviation Parkway; from the south by using Euclid Avenue and turning left on Broadway; or from the west by using 22nd Street to Euclid Avenue and turning left on Broadway.
- ONGOING: Congress Street between Church and Granada Avenues is closed. Work includes replacing a water main, upgrading electrical, installing track and paving. A full, 24-hour street closure will be in place through the end of January.
- Access to Pennington Street from eastbound Broadway will be maintained as long as possible; however, there will be short intermittent closures to allow crews to install water lines and rail across the roadway. Advance notice will be provided prior to restricting access to Pennington Street.
- Entering Congress Street from the Pima County Complex parking garage access road will not be permitted.
- ONGOING: Broadway from Church Avenue to just west of the Stone Avenue intersection is closed to allow the contractor to repair and replace the re-designed sewer system. The condition of the sewer lines and manholes require crews to conduct extensive underground work. The boundaries of the work area and safety considerations require a complete, 24-hour street closure of Broadway from Church to Stone Avenues through mid-December 2012. Officers will be on site during peak travel times to direct traffic:
- Broadway through traffic may detour north on Church Avenue to Pennington Street, east to Stone Avenue and south back to Broadway, or
- Broadway through traffic may detour south on Church Avenue to Cushing Street, east to Stone Avenue and north back to Broadway.
- Turn movements from eastbound Broadway to northbound Church will be maintained during the day; however, there may be intermittent night time closures.
- Access to the underground parking garage for tenants of 1 South Church Avenue is maintained.
CLICK HERE for a map of Downtown closures and detours
- ONGOING: Congress Street is open to one travel lane between Toole and Scott Avenues.
- ONGOING: The contractor will continue underground utility work along Broadway. Motorists should anticipate nightly lane restrictions between Fifth and Granada Avenues with traffic possibly reduced to one travel lane through the area. Restrictions will be in place from 7:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The intersection of Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard opened to traffic and pedestrians beginning on Friday evening, November 30, 2012 and Fourth Avenue, between Seventh and Ninth Streets will be open by the end of the day Wednesday, December 5, 2012. Opening these two sections of Fourth Avenue from University Boulevard to Ninth Street marks the completion of underground work and rail installation along this section of roadway.
- On Monday, December 3, the contractor installs poles along University Boulevard, between Third and Euclid Avenues. Work hours are from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- ONGOING: Park Avenue from University Boulevard to Second Street is closed. This closure will be in place while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System (OCS). This closure is expected to be in place through February 2013. Access to all parking facilities in the area will be maintained.
- ONGOING: The intersection of Third Avenue and University Boulevard is closed to through traffic. The scheduled work includes: roadway excavation, drainage, preparing subgrade and placement of the aggregate base coarse, construction of curb and ramps, curved rail and switch installation, pouring the concrete track slabs and paving.
- ONGOING: Fourth Avenue, from Seventh Street to Ninth Street, is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic.
- The intersection of Ninth Street and Fourth Avenue is open to southbound turn movements only. Ninth Street, west of Fourth Avenue, is closed to all vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian traffic while construction of the Maintenance and Storage facility is underway.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes Second Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: The intersection of Warren Avenue and Second Street is closed while the contractor installs curved rail, pours the concrete track slab and paves the roadway.
- Traffic will not be permitted through the intersection.
- Access for residents and businesses will be maintained.
- ONGOING: Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Cherry and Warren Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained.
- ONGOING: Helen Street, between Warren and Martin Avenues, will be closed through December 2012.
- ONGOING: The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is expected to be in place through May 2013 while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.