Streetcar Construction Update for Week of Dec. 31
December 31, 2012
The following information is provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found online at TucsonStreetcar.com.
Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
The following schedules are subject to change due to weather conditions and/or equipment failure.
In observance of the New Year Holiday, there will be no construction related activities from 5 p.m. Friday, December 28, 2012 through 6 a.m. Wednesday, January 2, 2013.
The Sun Link Streetcar Project Team wishes each of you a happy and healthy new year.
Southbound and northbound Church Avenue will be opened to through traffic during the New Year Holiday, beginning 6 p.m. Friday, December 28, 2012 through 5 a.m. Wednesday, January 2, 2013.
Broadway between Granada and Stone Avenues will be re-opened to two lanes of vehicular traffic over the New Year Holiday, beginning 6 p.m. Friday, December 28, 2012 through 5 a.m. Wednesday, January 2, 2013.
NEW WORK ACTIVITIES
The dates and times of the scheduled work may change due to inclement weather.
- The westbound frontage road, between 22nd and Congress Streets will be closed to allow the contractor to install water line and rail across the roadway. Traffic will be detoured onto I-10 or may use 22nd Street. This temporary closure will be in place January 2, 2013 through January 28, 2013.
- The I-10 westbound frontage road will be closed at 22nd Street. Motorists will be detoured onto westbound I-10 or can use 22nd Street.
- In an effort to minimize motorists from cutting through the neighborhood, Simpson Street and 18th Street will also be closed at the frontage road.
- The Cushing Street/I-10 underpass will be closed to through traffic.
- Cushing Street will also be closed at Granada to the westbound frontage road.
- Intermittent lane restrictions may take place on the eastbound frontage road.-
- Beginning Wednesday, January 2, 2013 through Saturday, January 5, 2013 Stone Avenue is reduced to one lane from Alameda Street to Broadway.
- Beginning Wednesday, January 2, 2013 southbound Church Avenue will again be closed between Congress Street and Broadway as the contractor completes the installation of a water line across the roadway and installs electric conduits and traffic signals. This closure is expected to be in place until late January, 2013.
- Beginning Wednesday, January 2, 2013 Broadway between Granada and Scott Avenues will be restricted to one lane of vehicular travel 24 hours a day while the contractor completes the installation of a new water line, utilities and track. This restriction will continue into Spring 2013.
- The contractor is installing traffic signal foundations and poles along Congress Street at the intersections between Church and Scott Avenues. Motorists should be prepared for possible lane restrictions as work progresses through the area.
- The contractor is completing the installation of water lines along Congress Street between Stone and Church Avenues. Businesses in the area may experience temporary water outages when their facilities are transferred over to the new system. The waterline installation is expected to be complete in early January 2013. The contractor will also begin constructing foundations for the Overhead Contact System and installing traffic signal poles at the intersections of Congress Street with Stone and Church Avenues.
- ADVANCE NOTICE: Beginning Wednesday, January 9, 2013, the intersections at Stone Avenue and Congress Street and Church Avenue and Congress Street will be closed. These closures are necessary to complete the installation of a water line, sewer line, electrical, curb, pole foundations, grading for track and rail installation. Work will also include the final paving of the roadway. This work is expected to be completed by late January.
ONGOING WORK – ALL SECTIONS
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: Traffic along eastbound Congress Street, between Avenida del Convento and the Santa Cruz River Bridge, will be shifted to the center turn lane while the contractor installs utilities and rail along the roadway. The traffic shift is expected to be in place through March 2013.
- ONGOING: The contractor is continuing work installing water lines on Granada Avenue between Congress and Cushing Streets. Access to the Federal Court complex and the Tucson Convention Center will be maintained.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Access to the many events and activities in the downtown area can be reached from the north by using either Stone Avenue or Sixth Avenue; from the east by using Broadway or Aviation Parkway; from the south by using Euclid Avenue and turning left on Broadway; or from the west by using 22nd Street to Euclid Avenue and turning left on Broadway.
- ONGOING: Congress Street between Church and Granada Avenues is closed. Work includes replacing water main, upgrading electrical, installing track and paving. A full, 24-hour street closure will be in place through the end of January.
- Access to Pennington Street from eastbound Broadway will be maintained as long as possible; however, there will be short intermittent closures to allow crews to install water lines and rail across the roadway. Advance notice will be provided prior to restricting access to Pennington Street.
- Entering Congress Street from the Pima County Complex parking garage access road will not be permitted.
- ONGOING: Congress Street is open to one travel lane between Toole and Scott Avenues.
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: The intersection of University Boulevard and Third Avenue has been re-opened to bicycle and vehicular traffic.
- ONGOING: The intersection of James E. Rogers Way and Park Avenue is closed. The closure allows the contractor to complete underground utility work and install rail along Park Avenue. The closure is expected to be in place through January 21, 2013.
- ONGOING: The intersection of Ninth Street and Fourth Avenue is open to north and southbound turn movements only. Ninth Street, west of Fourth Avenue is closed to all vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian traffic while construction of the Maintenance and Storage facility is underway.
This area of the project includes Second Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: The intersection of Warren Avenue and Second Street is closed while the contractor installs curved rail, pours the concrete track slab and paves the roadway.
- Traffic will not be permitted through the intersection.
- Access to residents and businesses will be maintained.
- ONGOING: Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Cherry and Warren Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained.
- ONGOING: The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is expected to be in place through February, 2013 while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.