Streetcar Construction Update for Week of Jan. 7
January 7, 2013
The following information is provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found online at TucsonStreetcar.com.
If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project.
Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
The following schedules are subject to change due to weather conditions and/or equipment failure.
NEW WORK ACTIVITIES
- Beginning Saturday, January 12, 2013, the intersections of Congress Street with Stone and Church Avenues will be closed. These closures allow the contractor to complete the installation of water and sewer lines, electrical, curb, pole foundations, rail installation and paving. This work is expected to be completed by the week ending February 1, 2013.
- Motorists should watch for signs directing them around the work area.
- North and South bound through travel is open to motorists on Sixth Avenue and Granada Avenue.
- Beginning at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, January 8, 2013 through 5 a.m. Wednesday, January 9, 2013, the contractor will work on water line connections at the intersections of Congress Street with Stone and Church Avenues.
- Stone Avenue will be reduced to one southbound lane at Congress Street.
- The intersection of Congress Street and Church Avenue will be closed.
- Motorists exiting 1 South Church parking garage will be directed to turn south (left on Church Avenue).
- The westbound frontage road, between 22nd and Congress Streets is closed while the contractor installs a water line and rail across the roadway. Motorists wishing access to the I-10 westbound frontage road will be detoured onto I-10 at 22nd Street and off I-10 at Congress Street. This temporary closure will be in place through January 28, 2013. Utility and rail installation across the eastbound frontage road is scheduled to begin mid-February 2013 and be completed in late March 2013.
- The I-10 westbound frontage road will be closed at 22nd Street. Motorists will be detoured onto westbound I-10.
- Motorists can use 22nd Street to access residential neighborhoods located between Cushing Street and 22nd Street.
- In an effort to minimize “cut through traffic,” Simpson and 18th Streets will also be closed at the frontage road.
- The Cushing Street and I-10 underpass will be closed to through traffic.
- Cushing Street will also be closed between Granada Avenue and the westbound frontage road. The intersection of Granada Avenue and Cushing Street will remain open.
- There may be intermittent lane restrictions on the eastbound frontage road.
- The contractor is completing the installation of water lines along Congress Street between Stone and Church Avenues. Businesses in the area may experience temporary water outages when their facilities are transferred over to the new system. Work also includes completion of sewer upgrades, electrical, installing curb and pole foundations, rail installation and paving.
ONGOING WORK – ALL SECTIONS
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Traffic along eastbound Congress Street, between Avenida del Convento and the Santa Cruz River Bridge, will be shifted to the center turn lane while the contractor installs utilities and rail along the roadway. The traffic shift is expected to be in place through March 2013.
- Crews are working on roadway removals and underground utilities along Avenida del Convento south of Congress Street.
- Avenida del Convento is closed from Paseo de los Zanjeros south to Cushing Street. Turn movements from Congress Street to Avenida del Convento will be permitted.
- The contractor is continuing work installing water lines on Granada Avenue between Congress and Cushing Streets. Access to the Federal Court complex and the Tucson Convention Center will be maintained.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Access to the many events and activities in the downtown area can be reached from the north by using Sixth Avenue; from the east by using Broadway Boulevard or Barraza-Aviation Parkway; from the south by using Euclid Avenue and turning left on Broadway Boulevard; or from the west by using 22nd Street to Euclid Avenue and turning left on Broadway.
- Southbound Church Avenue is closed between Congress Street and Broadway as the contractor completes the installation of a water line across the roadway and installs electric conduits and traffic signals. This closure is expected to be in place until late January 2013.
- The contractor is installing traffic signal foundations and poles along Congress Street at the intersections between Church and Scott Avenues. Motorists should be prepared for possible lane restrictions as work progresses through the area.
- Congress Street between Church and Granada Avenues is closed. Work includes replacing water main, upgrading electrical, installing track and paving. A full, 24-hour street closure will be in place through the end of January.
- Access to Pennington Street from eastbound Broadway will be maintained as long as possible; however, there will be short intermittent closures to allow crews to install water lines and rail across the roadway. Advance notice will be provided prior to restricting access to Pennington Street.
- Entering Congress Street from the Pima County Complex parking garage access road will not be permitted.
- Congress Street is open to one travel lane between Toole and Scott Avenues.
- Broadway between Granada and Scott Avenues is restricted to one travel lane while the contractor completes the installation of a new water line, utilities and rail. The lane restrictions will be in place 24 hours a day through Spring 2013.
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The intersection of James E. Rogers Way and Park Avenue is closed. The closure allows the contractor to complete underground utility work and install rail along Park Avenue. The closure is expected to be in place through January 21, 2013.
- The intersection of Ninth Street and Fourth Avenue is open to north and southbound turn movements only. Ninth Street, west of Fourth Avenue is closed to all vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian traffic while construction of the Maintenance and Storage facility is underway.
This area of the project includes Second Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The intersection of Warren Avenue and Second Street is closed while the contractor installs curved rail, pours the concrete track slab and paves the roadway.
- Traffic will not be permitted through the intersection.
- Access for residents and businesses will be maintained.
- Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Cherry and Warren Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained.
- Helen Street, between Warren and Martin Avenues will be closed through January 2013.
- The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is expected to be in place through May 2013, while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.