Streetcar Construction Update for Week of Feb. 11
February 10, 2013
The following information is provided by/copied from the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found online at TucsonStreetcar.com.
If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project.
NEW WORK ACTIVITIES
The dates and times of the scheduled work may change due to inclement weather.
- On Monday, February 11, 2013, the contractor will temporarily remove the traffic signals at the intersection of Congress Street and Avenida Del Convento. This is a temporary situation, and will only be in place while the contractor installs new electrical conduit at which point the signals will be reinstalled.
- A two-way stop will be installed in its place. This will allow Congress Street traffic a continuous flow.
- Avenida Del Convento and traffic exiting the clinic will merge with Congress Street traffic when safe to do so.
- The work is expected to take approximately a month to complete.
- On Monday February 11, 2013 and Tuesday, February 12, 2013, from 6 a.m. to noon each day, the contractor will install the Overhead Contact Cable along Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard. The operation will move slowly along the roadway as the cable is fed from large reels mounted on special boom trucks.
- The work area will be from the intersection of Eight Street and Fourth Avenue to the intersection of University Boulevard and Tyndall Avenue.
- Parking will be restricted at the intersections of Eight Street and Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard and Tyndall Avenue. These parking restrictions will be in place through February 15, 2013 to allow room for equipment to monitor the cable once installed.
- Officers will be on site to direct motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians around the immediate work area.
- On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 and Thursday, February 14, 2013 from 4 a.m. to 6 a.m. each day, the contractor will transport rail from an area near Granada Avenue and Cushing Street to Broadway and Sixth Avenue.
- The rail will be transported along the southbound lanes of Granada Avenue, through the Granada Avenue and Congress intersection and then east on Broadway to Sixth Avenue.
- Traffic will be restricted in the area while the transport operation moves along the roadway.
- Officers will be on site to direct traffic.
- Cushing Street is open to motorists, bicycles and pedestrians from Mission Boulevard to Granada Avenue.
- Westbound travel on Cushing Street will be restricted between Linda Avenue and Avenida Del Convento.
- Eastbound travel will not be restricted.
- ADVANCE NOTICE: Beginning at 6 a.m. on Monday, February 18, through 8 p.m. on Tuesday, February 19, north and southbound Sixth Avenue will be closed at the intersection of Broadway. The closure will be in place while the contractor sets the rail in concrete.
- One lane of eastbound travel on Broadway will be maintained.
- Motorists should watch for signs directing them around the work area.
- ADVANCE NOTICE: On Wednesday, February 20, the intersection of Congress and Fifth Avenue will be closed. The closure is to allow the contractor to install specialty rail elements within the intersection.
- The closure will be in place until April 11, 2013, a total of seven weeks.
- Congress Street will be closed from Toole Avenue to just west of Fifth Avenue.
- Parking along Fifth Avenue, north and south of Congress Street, will be maintained.
- Pedestrian access around the work area will be maintained.
- Access to Arizona Avenue from Broadway will remain open. Southbound travel on Arizona Avenue will not be permitted during this temporary closure.
ONGOING WORK – ALL SECTIONS:
I-10 and West End of Line
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: Traffic along eastbound Congress Street, between Avenida del Convento and the Santa Cruz River Bridge, will be shifted to the center turn lane while the contractor installs utilities and rail along the roadway. The traffic shift is expected to be in place through March 2013.
- ONGOING: Crews are working on roadway removals and underground utilities along Avenida del Convento south of Congress Street.
- Avenida del Convento is closed from Paseo de los Zanjeros south to Cushing Street. Turn movements from Congress Street to Avenida del Convento will be permitted.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Access to the many events and activities in the downtown area can be reached from the north by using Sixth Avenue; from the east by using Broadway Boulevard or Aviation Parkway; from the south by using Euclid Avenue and turning left on Broadway; or from the west by using Congress Street and Broadway.
- ONGOING: Congress Street, between Toole and Church Avenues is open to traffic. Motorists and bicyclists will be required to turn north or south at Church Avenue.
- The contractor will continue work to complete sidewalk, curb, ramps and signal installation along this stretch of roadway.
- Motorists may experience intermittent lane restriction between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. during this work, however one lane of traffic will be maintained at all times.
- ONGOING: Southbound Scott Avenue is closed between Broadway and Jackson Street. This closure will allow the contractor to begin preparations for rail installation along the roadway.
- Motorists traveling south on Scott Avenue will be required to turn east at Broadway Boulevard. However, motorist may experience intermittent restrictions while the contractor installs electrical conduit across Scott Avenue north of Broadway.
- North/southbound pedestrian access at the Broadway and Scott Avenue intersection will be re-routed around the work area.
- ONGOING: The contractor is installing traffic signal foundations and poles along Congress Street at the intersections between Church and Scott Avenues. Motorists should be prepared for possible lane restrictions as work progresses through the area.
- ONGOING: Congress Street between Church and Granada Avenues is closed. Work includes replacing water main, upgrading electrical, installing track and paving. A full, 24-hour street closure is in place.
- Access to Pennington Street from eastbound Broadway will be maintained as long as possible; however, there will be short intermittent closures to allow crews to install water lines and rail across the roadway. Advance notice will be provided prior to restricting access to Pennington Street.
- Entering Congress Street from the Pima County Complex parking garage access road will not be permitted.
- ONGOING: Broadway between Granada and Fifth Avenues is restricted to one travel lane while the contractor completes the installation of a new water line, utilities and rail. The roadway will be open to two travel lanes during peak traffic times. The lane restrictions will be in place 24 hours a day through Spring 2013.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: Park Avenue, between University Boulevard and Second Street, is closed while the contractor installs water line, utilities and rail.
- ONGOING: The intersection of James E. Rogers Way and Park Avenue is open to east and west through traffic during the week, and then reclosed for the weekend. The closure allows the contractor to complete underground utility work and install rail along Park Avenue.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes Second Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: The intersection of Warren Avenue and Second Street is closed while the contractor installs curved rail, pours the concrete track slab and paves the roadway.
- Traffic will not be permitted through the intersection.
- Access to residents and businesses will be maintained.
- ONGOING: Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Cherry and Warren Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained.
- ONGOING: Helen Street, between Warren and Martin Avenues is closed.
- ONGOING: The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is expected to be in place through June 2013, while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.