Streetcar Construction Update for Week of Feb. 25
February 25, 2013
The following information is provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found online at TucsonStreetcar.com. If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project.
Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
Motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians should prepare for extensive traffic control changes in the downtown area. Officers will be on site at several locations to direct travelers and pedestrians through the area during peak traffic times. Please plan for additional travel time while these temporary traffic control changes are in place.
The dates and times of the scheduled work may change due to inclement weather.
NEW WORK ACTIVITIES
- On Monday, February 25, 2013 the contractor began installing a water line along Broadway between Granada and Church Avenues. Because of the location of the water line, it is necessary to close the roadway while the work is underway.
- Broadway is closed Monday through Thursday nights from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following morning. This closure schedule will continue through the end of March 2013.
- Broadway, between Granada and Church Avenues, is open to two lanes of travel from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day.
- The roadway will be open to through travel on weekends.
- The Government Complex parking facilities on Pennington Street must be accessed from Church Avenue and Pennington Street. Officers will be on site to help direct tenants of the parking garages.
- On Monday, February 25, 2013 and Tuesday, February 26, 2013 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day, Euclid Avenue at the intersection of University Boulevard is reduced to one lane in each direction while the contractor completes work on a manhole in the intersection.
- Turn movements from southbound Euclid Avenue to eastbound University Boulevard (left) will be permitted.
- Turn movements from northbound Euclid Avenue to eastbound University Boulevard (right) will be permitted.
- Turn movements from eastbound University Boulevard to southbound Euclid Avenue (right) will be permitted.
- Eastbound University Boulevard through traffic will be permitted.
- Westbound University Boulevard motorists must turn northbound (right) at Euclid.
- Westbound University Boulevard through traffic will not be permitted.
- On Tuesday, February 26, 2013, the contractor has tentatively scheduled to close Sixth Avenue, between Congress Street and Broadway from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following morning while the contractor re-stripes the roadway.
- Southbound Sixth Avenue traffic will be detoured west (right) onto Congress Street and south (left) on Scott Avenue back to Broadway.
- Northbound Sixth Avenue traffic will be detoured east (right) onto Broadway and north (left) on Toole Avenue back to Sixth Avenue.
- On March 4, 2013, the contractor will begin placing rail along Broadway, between Fifth and Church Avenues. This work will require the intersections of Broadway with Stone Avenue, Fifth Avenue and Arizona Avenue, to be closed while the rail is installed across the intersections.
- Southbound Stone Avenue to eastbound Broadway turn movements will be permitted during most of the work.
- Southbound Stone Avenue through traffic will not be permitted.
- Northbound Stone Avenue traffic will be detoured to Sixth Avenue.
- Fifth Avenue and Arizona Avenue through traffic will be detoured to Sixth Avenue.
ONGOING WORK – ALL SECTIONS
I-10 and West End of Line
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The eastbound I-10 frontage road is reduced to one travel lane at Cushing Street while the contractor begins work to install track and complete paving along the roadway from the Luis G. Gutierrez Bridge to the eastbound frontage road.
- East and westbound travel on Cushing Street under I-10 will be allowed.
- Cushing Street, between the eastbound I-10 frontage road west to Avenida Del Palo Fierro, is closed to motorists.
- The traffic signals at the intersection of Congress Street and Avenida Del Convento have been removed. This is a temporary situation, and will only be in place while the contractor installs new electrical conduit at which point the signals will be reinstalled.
- A two-way stop will be installed in its place. This will allow Congress Street traffic a continuous flow.
- Avenida Del Convento and traffic exiting the El Rio Community Health Center will merge with Congress Street traffic when safe to do so.
- The work is expected to be complete by March 15, 2013.
- Traffic along eastbound Congress Street, between Avenida Del Convento and the Santa Cruz River Bridge, will be shifted to the center turn lane while the contractor installs utilities and rail along the roadway. The traffic shift is expected to be in place through March 2013.
- Crews are working on roadway grading and rail installation along Avenida Del Convento south of Congress Street.
- Avenida Del Convento is closed from Paseo de los Zanjeros south to Cushing Street. Turn movements from Congress Street to Avenida Del Convento will be permitted.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The intersection of Congress and Fifth Avenue is closed. The closure will allow the contractor to install specialty rail elements within the intersection.
- The closure will be in place until April 11, 2013 a total of seven weeks.
- Congress Street will be closed from Toole Avenue to just west of Fifth Avenue.
- Parking along Fifth Avenue, north and south of Congress Street, will be maintained.
- Pedestrian access around the work area will be maintained.
- Access to Arizona Avenue from Broadway will remain open. Southbound travel on Arizona Avenue will not be permitted during this temporary closure.
- North and southbound traffic on Granada Avenue will be switched to the northbound travel lanes.
- Access to the DeConcini Federal Court complex and the Tucson Convention Center will be maintained.
- Congress Street, between Sixth and Church Avenues, is open to traffic. Motorists and bicyclists will be required to turn north or south at Church Avenue.
- The contractor will continue work to complete sidewalk, curb, ramps and signal installation along this stretch of roadway.
- Motorists may experience intermittent lane restriction between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. during this work, however one lane of traffic will be maintained at all times.
- Southbound Scott Avenue is closed between Broadway and Jackson Street. This closure will allow the contractor to begin preparations for rail installation along the roadway.
- Motorists traveling south on Scott Avenue will be required to turn east at Broadway Boulevard. However, motorists may experience intermittent restrictions while the contractor installs electrical conduit across Scott Avenue north of Broadway.
- North/southbound pedestrian access at the Broadway and Scott Avenue intersection will be re-routed around the work area.
- The contractor is installing traffic signal foundations and poles along Congress Street at the intersections between Church and Scott Avenues. Motorists should be prepared for possible lane restrictions as work progresses through the area.
- Congress Street between Church and Granada Avenues is closed. Work includes replacing water main, upgrading electrical, installing track and paving. A full, 24-hour street closure is in place.
- Access to Pennington Street from eastbound Broadway will be maintained as long as possible; however, there will be short intermittent closures to allow crews to install water lines and rail across the roadway. Advance notice will be provided prior to restricting access to Pennington Street.
- Entering Congress Street from the Pima County Complex parking garage access road will not be permitted.
- Broadway between Granada and Fifth Avenues is restricted to one travel lane while the contractor completes the installation of a new water line, utilities and rail. The roadway will be open to two travel lanes during peak traffic times. The lane restrictions will be in place 24 hours a day through spring 2013.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Park Avenue, between University Boulevard and Second Street is closed while the contractor installs water line, utilities and rail.
- The intersection of James E. Rogers Way and Park Avenue is open to east/west through traffic during the week, and then reclosed for the weekend. The closure allows the contractor to complete underground utility work and install rail along Park Avenue.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes Second Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The intersection of Warren Avenue and Second Street is closed while the contractor installs curved rail, pours the concrete track slab and paves the roadway.
- Traffic will not be permitted through the intersection.
- Access to residents and businesses will be maintained.
- Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Cherry and Warren Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained.
- Helen Street, between Warren and Martin Avenues is closed.
- The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is expected to be in place through June, 2013 while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.