Streetcar Construction Update for Week of Feb. 4
February 3, 2013
The following information is provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found online at TucsonStreetcar.com.
If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project.
Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
Motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians should prepare for extensive traffic control changes in the downtown area. Officers will be on site at several locations to direct travelers and pedestrians through the area during peak traffic times. Please plan for additional travel time while these temporary traffic control changes are in place.
The dates and times of the scheduled work may change due to inclement weather.
NEW WORK ACTIVITIES
- Congress Street, between Toole and Church Avenues is open to traffic. Motorists and bicyclists will be required to turn north or south at Church Avenue.
- The contractor will continue work to complete sidewalk, curb, ramps and signal installation along this stretch of roadway.
- Motorists may experience intermittent lane restriction between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. during this work, however one lane of traffic will be maintained at all times.
- Cushing Street is open to motorists, bicycles and pedestrians from Mission Boulevard to Granada Avenue.
- Beginning Monday, February 4, 2013, westbound travel on Cushing Street will be restricted between Linda Avenue and Avenida Del Convento.
- Eastbound travel will not be restricted.
- Beginning Monday, February 4, 2013, southbound Scott Avenue will be closed between Broadway and Jackson Street. This closure will allow the contractor to begin preparations for rail installation along the roadway.
- Motorists traveling south on Scott Avenue will be required to turn east at Broadway Boulevard.
- North and southbound pedestrian access at the Broadway and Scott Avenue intersection will be re-routed around the work area.
- From Monday, February 4 – Friday, February 8, the contractor will work on the overhead contact system at the intersection of University Boulevard and Third Avenue.
- University Boulevard will remain open to through traffic, however, there may be short, intermittent lane restrictions during the operation.
- Motorists and bicyclist traveling north on Third Avenue will not be permitted through the intersection. Motorists and bicyclists will be directed to turn east or west onto University Boulevard.
- Motorists and bicyclist traveling south on Third Avenue will be detoured around the work area at Second Street. Signs will be in place to help direct traffic.
ONGOING WORK – ALL SECTIONS
I-10 and West End of Line
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. Ongoing traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Traffic along eastbound Congress Street, between Avenida del Convento and the Santa Cruz River Bridge, will be shifted to the center turn lane while the contractor installs utilities and rail along the roadway. The traffic shift is expected to be in place through March 2013.
- Crews are working on roadway removals and underground utilities along Avenida del Convento south of Congress Street.
- Avenida del Convento is closed from Paseo de los Zanjeros south to Cushing Street. Turn movements from Congress Street to Avenida del Convento will be permitted.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Ongoing traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The contractor is installing traffic signal foundations and poles along Congress Street at the intersections between Church and Scott Avenues. Motorists should be prepared for possible lane restrictions as work progresses through the area.
- Congress Street between Church and Granada Avenues is closed. Work includes replacing water main, upgrading electrical, installing track and paving. A full, 24-hour street closure is in place.
- Access to Pennington Street from eastbound Broadway will be maintained as long as possible; however, there will be short intermittent closures to allow crews to install water lines and rail across the roadway. Advance notice will be provided prior to restricting access to Pennington Street.
- Entering Congress Street from the Pima County Complex parking garage access road will not be permitted.
- Broadway between Granada and Fifth Avenues is restricted to one travel lane while the contractor completes the installation of a new water line, utilities and rail. The roadway will be open to two travel lanes during peak traffic times. The lane restrictions will be in place 24 hours a day through Spring 2013.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Ongoing traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Park Avenue, between University Boulevard and Second Street, is closed while the contractor installs water line, utilities and rail.
- The intersection of James E. Rogers Way and Park Avenue is open to east and west through traffic during the week, and then reclosed for the weekend. The closure allows the contractor to complete underground utility work and install rail along Park Avenue.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes Second Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Ongoing traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The intersection of Warren Avenue and Second Street is closed while the contractor installs curved rail, pours the concrete track slab and paves the roadway.
- Traffic will not be permitted through the intersection.
- Access to residents and businesses will be maintained.
- Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Cherry and Warren Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained.
- Helen Street, between Warren and Martin Avenues is closed.
- The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is expected to be in place through June 2013, while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.