Streetcar Construction Update for Week of March 18
March 20, 2013
The following information is provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found online at TucsonStreetcar.com. If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project.
Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
Motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians should prepare for extensive traffic control changes in the downtown area. Officers will be on site at several locations to direct travelers and pedestrians through the area during peak traffic times. Please plan for additional travel time while these temporary traffic control changes are in place.
The dates and times of the scheduled work may change due to inclement weather.
NEW WORK ACTIVITIES
- The westbound I-10 frontage road, between 22nd and Congress Streets is closed to allow the contractor to install water line and rail across the roadway. Motorist should watch for signs directing them around the work area.
- Westbound I-10 frontage road traffic is detoured onto I-10 at 22nd Street and off at Congress Street.
- Neighborhood access from 22nd Street is maintained.
- In an effort to minimize motorists from cutting through the neighborhood, Simpson Street and 18th Street is also closed at the frontage road.
- The Cushing Street/I-10 underpass is closed to through traffic.
- Cushing Street is also closed between Granada Avenue and the westbound I-10 frontage road.
- The eastbound I-10 frontage road is reduced to one travel lane between Congress and Cushing Streets.
- Access to the Congress Street I-10 on ramp will be maintained at all times.
- Access to businesses along the eastbound I-10 frontage road will not be impacted.
- The Cushing Street/I-10 underpass will be closed to through traffic.
- The contractor is installing wire for the overhead contact system along Fourth Avenue, between Sixth and Ninth Streets. Officers will be on site to help direct motorists, bicyclist and pedestrians around the work area.
- Park Avenue, between Second Street and University Boulevard is reopened to motorists. Utility adjustments and pole and sidewalk installation will continue in the area. Pedestrian and vehicle access will not be impacted during the work.
- Through Thursday March 21, 2013, the contractor is installing wire for the overhead contact system along Second Street, between Park and Cherry Avenues. Officers are on site to help direct motorists, bicyclist and pedestrians around the work area.
- The speed limit along Speedway Boulevard, between Cherry and Campbell Avenues, is reduced to 25 mph and lane widths are reduced from 12 feet to 11 feet in the area. The temporary lane width and speed limit reductions are in place while work is completed on the Warren Avenue underpass.
ONGOING WORK – ALL SECTIONS:
I-10 and West End of Line
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: Cushing Street, between the eastbound I-10 frontage road west to Avenida Del Palo Fierro, is closed to motorists.
- ONGOING: Traffic along eastbound Congress Street, between Avenida Del Convento and the Santa Cruz River Bridge, will be shifted to the center turn lane while the contractor installs utilities and rail along the roadway. The traffic shift is expected to be in place through March 2013.
- ONGOING: Crews are working on roadway grading and rail installation along Avenida Del Convento south of Congress Street.
- Avenida Del Convento is closed from Paseo de los Zanjeros south to Cushing Street. Turn movements from Congress Street to Avenida Del Convento will be permitted.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Access to the many events and activities in the downtown area can be reached from the north by using Sixth Avenue; from the east by using Broadway or Barraza-Aviation Parkway; from the south by using Euclid Avenue and turning left on Broadway; or from the west by using Congress Street and Broadway.
- ONGOING:The contractor has begun preparing Broadway, between Fifth and Church Avenues for rail installation. This work will require restricting the north and southbound through traffic movements at the intersections of Broadway with Stone Avenue, Fifth Avenue and Arizona Avenue while the rail is installed across the intersections.Officers will be on site during peak traffic to help direct traffic.
- The restrictions are in place through Monday April 1, 2013.
- One eastbound travel lane is maintained along Broadway between Church and Fifth Avenues.
- Southbound Stone Avenue to eastbound Broadway turn movements will be permitted during most of the work.
- Southbound Stone Avenue through traffic is not permitted.
- Northbound Stone Avenue traffic is restricted to local traffic only between 18th Street and Broadway. All other northbound Stone Avenue traffic is directed to Sixth Avenue.
- Fifth and Arizona Avenue through traffic is detoured to Sixth Avenue.
- North and south bound pedestrian access at the intersection of Broadway and Fifth Avenue is not be permitted. Pedestrians may use Sixth Avenue at Broadway as their alternate north/south access.
- ONGOING: The intersection of Congress and Fifth Avenue is closed. The closure will allow the contractor to install specialty rail elements within the intersection.
- The closure will be in place until April 11, 2013 a total of seven weeks.
- Congress Street will be closed from Toole Avenue to just west of Fifth Avenue.
- Parking along Fifth Avenue, north and south of Congress Street, will be maintained.
- Pedestrian access around the work area will be maintained.
- Access to Arizona Avenue from Broadway will remain open. Southbound travel on Arizona Avenue will not be permitted during this temporary closure.
- ONGOING: North and southbound traffic on Granada Avenue will be switched to the northbound travel lanes.
- Access to the DeConcini Federal Court complex and the Tucson Convention Center will be maintained.
- ONGOING: Congress Street, between Sixth and Church Avenues, is open to traffic. Motorists and bicyclists will be required to turn north or south at Church Avenue.
- The contractor will continue work to complete sidewalk, curb, ramps and signal installation along this stretch of roadway.
- Motorists may experience intermittent lane restriction between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. during this work, however one lane of traffic will be maintained at all times.
- ONGOING: Congress Street between Church and Granada Avenues is closed. Work includes replacing water main, upgrading electrical, installing track and paving. A full, 24-hour street closure is in place.
- Access to Pennington Street from eastbound Broadway will be maintained as long as possible; however, there will be short intermittent closures to allow crews to install water lines and rail across the roadway. Advance notice will be provided prior to restricting access to Pennington Street.
- Entering Congress Street from the Pima County Complex parking garage access road will not be permitted.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- No ongoing construction related activities are occurring in this area.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes Second Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: The intersection of Warren Avenue and Second Street is closed while the contractor installs curved rail, pours the concrete track slab and paves the roadway.
- Traffic will not be permitted through the intersection.
- Access to residents and businesses will be maintained.
- ONGOING: Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Cherry and Warren Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained.
- ONGOING: Helen Street, between Warren and Martin Avenues is closed.
- ONGOING: The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is expected to be in place through June, 2013 while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.