Charles O. Brown House

August 1, 2016

Dating to the mid-19th century, the Brown House is typical of Tucson homes from the late 1800s in that its Mexican elements were blended with Victorian ornamentation. Mr. Brown was the proprietor of the Congress Hall Saloon, a popular meeting hall for the territorial legislators. The Brown House stands in stark contrast to the modern […]

The Presidio Trail

May 29, 2013

The Presidio Trail is a historical walking tour of Downtown Tucson. You can follow the turquoise line through Downtown and visit the historic locations. Please visit the Tucson Presidio Trust website to download a map of the trial or visit the Tucson Visitor’s Center in La Placita Village at Church Avenue and Broadway Blvd.  

Presidio San Agustin de Tucson

May 29, 2013

Located downtown at Washington and Church Streets, the Presidio San Agustín del Tucson is a re-creation of the northeast corner of the original 1775 Spanish presidio or fort. The Tucson Presidio Trust for Historic Preservation raises awareness of Southern Arizona’s Spanish and Mexican heritage.    

Cushing Street Bar and Restaurant

September 1, 2011

Old Town Artisans

July 6, 2011

This 150-year-old adobe treasure in the El Presidio Historic District is home to unique shops featuring local and regional arts and crafts, a restaurant, cantina, and a lovely courtyard to relax with a beverage. Old Town Artisans is located on the site of El Presidio San Augustin del Tucson, the fort built by the Spanish […]

Stork’s Nest

July 6, 2011

This transformed Sonoran house in the El Presidio Historic District was home to Tucson’s first maternity ward, from 1922 to 1946. The Stork’s Nest’s office tenants still get visits from people who say they were born there.

Temple of Music & Art

July 6, 2011

This Spanish Colonial Revival-style cultural center was built in 1926 and served the Saturday Morning Music Club. Its U-shaped courtyard features a fountain and Mexican tile, and the building houses a café, gallery and gift shop in addition to its luxurious 623-seat auditorium. The Tucson Fine Arts Association and Tucson Boys Chorus both got their […]

Fox Theatre

July 6, 2011

Built in 1930 as a vaudeville and silent-movie house, the theatre was part of the Fox national chain, but it was the only one with a unique “Southwest Art Deco” style. The Fox was an important venue in Tucson in the 1940s and 1950s, hosting a Saturday Mickey Mouse Club and the premiere of the […]

Rialto Theatre

July 6, 2011

The Rialto had the largest stage west of the Mississippi when it opened in 1919, and Ginger Rogers once danced there. The Rialto became the Paramount Theater in 1948; it closed in 1963, reopened, closed again in 1984, and was brought back to life as a concert hall in the 1990s. Restored in 2005, the […]

Hotel Congress

July 6, 2011

The Hotel Congress was built in 1919 as a three-story railroad hotel. A fire in 1934 destroyed the third floor and led to the capture of the John Dillinger gang. The building still has 40 vintage guest rooms, a restaurant with sidewalk seating, nightclub, salon, and banquet room. The Congress has a unique Southwest décor, […]

Tucson Museum of Art & Historic Block

July 6, 2011

The Tucson Museum of Art main building was constructed in 1974, but the larger complex contains several 19th-century adobe houses and the 1908 Mission Revival-style J. Knox Corbett House. The Fish-Stevens House is used for museum gallery space, while La Casa Cordova—believed to be the oldest structure in Downtown—is home to several historical exhibits. The […]

Tucson Children’s Museum (Carnegie Library)

July 6, 2011

Tucson’s Carnegie Library was designed by Henry Trost and opened in 1901. The building has suffered a variety of indignities, including the collapse of its dome and the construction of a massive wall that surrounds and obscures the building. It was home to the public library until the completion of the Main Library on Stone […]

Royal Elizabeth Bed & Breakfast

July 6, 2011

The 1878 Blenman House, named for its first resident, Judge Charles Blenman, was converted to a lovely bed-and-breakfast in 2000. Proud to be among the top 5 urban B&Bs in the nation for business travel as reported by USA Today.

El Paso & SW Depot

July 6, 2011

The Phelps Dodge Mining Company extended its El Paso and Southwestern Railroad from El Paso to Tucson in 1912, and the depot was built in 1913. By 1924 the railroad was taken over by Southern Pacific, which didn’t need two Tucson depots, so this depot was closed down after just eleven years of service. More […]

Historic Depot

July 6, 2011

Built originally in 1907, renovated in 1941 and recently restored, the depot is the home to Tucson’s Amtrak station, shops, offices, the Southern Arizona Transportation Museum, and a restaurant coming soon. Locomotive 1673, a freight-hauling engine that logged over one million miles for Southern Pacific Railroad in Southern Arizona from 1900-1955 and featured in the […]

James A. Walsh Federal Courthouse

July 6, 2011

Originally constructed in 1929 as Tucson’s post office, this Neoclassical building now houses the U.S. Bankruptcy Court. Its second-floor courtrooms are undergoing restoration.

Old Pima County Courthouse

July 6, 2011

Built in 1929, the Spanish Colonial Revival courthouse is one of Tucson’s most beloved landmarks. Its mosaic dome is one of the Old Pueblo’s most recognizable structures. A portion of the east wall of the original Presidio of Tucson runs through the courtyard and is marked with a strip of granite. The building is still […]

El Tiradito

July 6, 2011

Known as the “wishing shrine,” El Tiradito has its origins in an 1870s love triangle that ended with the murder of a young sheepherder named Juan. Juan’s grave and a shrine were moved to this site just south of the present-day Tucson Convention Center. El Tiradito means “the castaway,” and it is said to be […]

Historic Stone Avenue Temple

July 6, 2011

The first Jewish house of worship in the Arizona Territory, Temple Emmanu-el was built in 1910 and restored in 2000. The structure features Greek, Moorish, and Roman elements. It is used today as a local cultural center.

St. Augustine Cathedral

July 5, 2011

The cathedral was built in the Romanesque Revival style in 1896, but by the 1920s, its “French style” was considered inappropriate for Mexican and Spanish parishes. Its towers and facade were rebuilt with reinforced concrete and plaster and given a Spanish Colonial Revival look. St. Augustine’s bronze statue on the sandstone facade is complemented by […]