Streetcar Construction Update for week of Aug 6
August 6, 2012
The following information is provided by the Tucson Modern Streetcar weekly newsletter, also found online at TucsonStreetcar.com.
If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project. Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. *Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.*
The construction activity information is subject to change at any time.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- On Monday, August 6, at 6 a.m., the contractor began the repair and replacement of a sewer line that extends across Broadway between Church and Stone Avenues. Current conditions of the sewer lines and manholes will require extensive underground work. The boundaries of the work area and safety considerations will require Broadway between Church and Stone Avenues to be completely closed. The closure will be in effect 24 hours per day and is expected to be in place through mid-September 2012. Broadway through traffic will be detoured south on Church Avenue to Ochoa Street or McCormick Street, east to Stone or Scott Avenues and north back to Broadway (see detour map below).
- To assist with the flow of detoured traffic, four-way stops will be in place at the intersections of Ochoa Street and Stone Avenue and McCormick Street and Stone Avenue. Officers will be on site to help direct traffic.
- Turn movements from eastbound Broadway to northbound Church will be maintained during the day, however, there may be intermittent night time closures of this turn movement.
- Access to the underground parking garage for tenants of 1 South Church Avenue will be maintained.
- Parking is not allowed along Church Avenue between Broadway and Jackson Street while the detour is in place.
- Sidewalk access will be maintained at all times, however, north and south bound Church Avenue pedestrians must use the crosswalk on the west side of the intersection to cross Broadway while intersection work is under way.
- Work hours for the sewer repair and replacement operation will be weekdays, from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- ONGOING: Congress Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Toole and Church Avenues. This closure is in place to allow the contractor to remove the existing roadway, complete underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System (OCS).
- ONGOING: On-street parking is not permitted along Broadway between Granada and Fifth Avenues.
- ONGOING: Scott Avenue is closed at Congress Street.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- From 3 a.m. on Wednesday, August 8, until 3 a.m. Monday, August 13, the intersection of Euclid Avenue and University Boulevard will be closed. The temporary intersection closure allows the contractor to place rail, pour the concrete track slab and pave across the intersection.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained during the five-day intersection closure.
- Access to surrounding businesses, parking and parking garages will be maintained.
- Electronic message boards will be in place to help direct motorists around the work area.
- Weather permitting, on Monday, August 13, the intersection will be open to one travel lane in each direction.
- The contractor will work extended hours and weekends during this operation.
- ONGOING: Fourth Avenue between Ninth and Sixth Streets is closed to all vehicular and bicycle traffic. Sidewalk access to businesses will be maintained at all times.
- Parking will not be permitted on Fourth Avenue, between Sixth and Ninth Streets.
- Southbound turn movements from Sixth Street to Fourth Avenue will not be permitted.
- Fourth Avenue businesses located south of Sixth Street can be reached by using Third or Fifth Avenues.
- ONGOING: Fourth Avenue between Sixth Street and University Boulevard is open to vehicular, bicycle and pedestrian traffic. The contractor continues working in areas along this section of roadway completing the installation of the OCS and Streetcar stops.
- Motorists should expect intermittent lane and parking restrictions on Fourth Avenue between Sixth Street and University Boulevard.
- Left turns from eastbound Sixth Street to Fourth Avenue are prohibited.
- ONGOING: The intersection of Sixth Street at Fourth Avenue is reduced to one travel lane in each direction.
- Left turn movements from eastbound Sixth Street will not be permitted.
- Southbound turn movements from Sixth Street to Fourth Avenue will not be allowed.
- ONGOING: University Boulevard is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Third Avenue and Euclid Avenue and between Euclid and Park Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- The intersections of University Boulevard with Bean Avenue, Second Avenue, Jacobus Avenue, First Avenue and Tyndall will be closed to through traffic.
- Third, Euclid and Park Avenues may have intermittent lane restrictions during this work.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes 2nd Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The contractor continues work on the installation of a 16-inch waterline along Speedway Boulevard between the Warren Avenue Underpass and Martin Avenue. Motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists should be prepared for temporary closures and restrictions along Speedway Boulevard between Cherry and Campbell Avenues. To avoid delays, motorists should plan to use an alternate route when possible. The work is expected to be complete by late August.
- ONGOING: The contractor is continuing work on the installation of a 16-inch waterline along Martin Avenue between Second Street and Speedway Boulevard. Motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists should prepare for temporary closures and restrictions in the area.
- ONGOING: Helen Street is closed between Martin and Cherry Avenues.
- Helen Street between Cherry and Warren Avenues will be closed until mid August.
- Helen Street between Warren and Martin Avenues will be closed through October 2012.
- The intersection of Cherry Avenue and Helen Street will remain open throughout most of this work; however, there may be intermittent lane restrictions to accommodate workers and equipment.
- ONGOING: The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is expected to be in place through February 2013 while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
- ONGOING: Second Street is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between Park and Mountain Avenues and between Highland and Warren Avenues for the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the OCS.
- The intersections of Second Street with Palm Drive and Olive Road are closed.
- Access to the Second Street Garage will be maintained.
- Highland Avenue will remain open to allow northbound vehicular travel between First and Second Streets.
- The intersection of Cherry Avenue at Second Street is closed.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.