Streetcar Construction Info for Week of May 27
May 24, 2013
The following information was culled from the Tucson Modern Streetcar newsletter, found online at TucsonStreetcar.com. If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project.
Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
Motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians should prepare for extensive traffic control changes in the downtown area. Officers will be on site at several locations to direct travelers and pedestrians through the area during peak traffic times. Please plan for additional travel time while these temporary traffic control changes are in place. Motorists should consider using Speedway Boulevard or 22nd Street as alternate routes.
NEW/UPCOMING WORK ACTIVITIES
- The westbound I-10 frontage road from 22nd Street to Congress Street is open to traffic.
- One travel lane is open from 22nd Street to Cushing Street along the westbound I-10 frontage road.
- Two travel lanes are open from Cushing Street to Congress Street along the westbound I-10 frontage road.
- Cushing Street under I-10 remains closed.
- Cushing Street is reopened east of the westbound I-10 frontage road. Cushing Street under I-10 remains closed.
- On Tuesday, May 28, 2013, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following morning, the contractor will place temporary concrete barrier along portions of Granada Avenue and Broadway to prepare for the installation of the curved rail through the Granada Avenue and Congress Street intersection. In order to safely set the traffic control devices, eastbound Broadway will be closed from Granada Avenue to Church Avenue. All eastbound Broadway traffic will be detoured north at Granada Avenue, east at Alameda Street and south on Church Avenue back to Broadway. This temporary closure will be in place for one night only.
- On Wednesday, May 29, 2013, the contractor will begin work to install the curved rail at the intersection of Granada Avenue and Congress Street/Broadway. This work will take approximately four weeks to complete. Travel restrictions at the intersection of Congress Street and Granada Avenue during this operation are as follows:
- Westbound Congress Street will be open to through traffic and all turn movements with the exception of U-turns.
- U-turns will not be allowed.
- Eastbound Congress Street/Broadway will be open to through traffic and all turn movements.
- Southbound Granada Avenue will be open to through traffic and all turn movements.
- Northbound Granada Avenue will be restricted to eastbound turn movements only.
- Northbound Granada Avenue motorists wishing to turn west (left) or travel north through the Broadway intersection should consider using Cushing Street to Church Avenue, or Cushing Street to the westbound I-10 frontage road as alternate routes.
- The contractor is installing stop foundations and canopies and poles for the overhead contact system (OCS) in the downtown area along Congress Street and Broadway. Officers will be on site to direct traffic during this work.
ONGOING WORK – ALL SECTIONS:
- A project unrelated to the Sun Links Streetcar project, has begun installing a 90-inch storm drain along St. Mary’s Road and Sixth Street between Church and Granada Avenues. This work requires St Mary’s Road and Sixth Street in this area to be completely closed. The closure will be in place through the end of May 2013.
- Eastbound turn movements from northbound Church Avenue will be allowed.
- Granada Avenue will be open to north and south through traffic and westbound turn movements only.
- Through traffic at the intersection of Main Avenue and Sixth Street will not be permitted.
- The University Service Annex Building can be accessed through its parking lot on the east side of the building off Sixth Street and the entrance on Main Avenue, north of Sixth Street.
- Pedestrian access at the intersection of Granada Avenue and St. Mary’s Road and Sixth Street will be maintained.
- One travel lane in each direction will be maintained along St. Mary’s Road between Granada Avenue and the westbound I-10 frontage road.
- Access to Davis Elementary School will be maintained at all times.
Access to the many events and activities in the downtown area can be reached from the north by using Sixth Avenue; from the east by using Broadway or Barraza-Aviation Parkway; from the south by using sixth Avenue; or from the west by using Congress Street and Broadway.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The contractor has begun the installation of signal foundations and poles on the north half of the Scott Avenue and Sixth Avenue intersections at Broadway.
- North and southbound traffic will not be permitted through the Scott Avenue and Broadway intersection.
- Two travel lanes will be maintained along eastbound Broadway between Stone and Fifth Avenues.
- Northbound Scott Avenue motorists and bicyclist will be required to turn right (east) at the Broadway intersection.
- Southbound Scott Avenue motorists and bicyclists will be detoured right (west) at Congress Street and left (south) at Stone Avenue back to Broadway.
- Eastbound Broadway to southbound (right) Scott Avenue turn movements are permitted during this work.
- Eastbound Broadway to northbound (left) Scott Avenue turn movements will not be permitted.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained during this work.
- ONGOING: The existing traffic signals have been removed from the intersection of Broadway and Sixth Avenue.
- A temporary three-way stop is in place at the Broadway and Sixth Avenue intersection. This temporary traffic control will be in place while the new traffic signals are installed.
- ONGOING: The existing traffic signals have been removed from the intersection of Broadway and Scott Avenue.
- ONGOING: Broadway is reduced to one travel lane from Granada to Stone Avenues. The lane reduction will be in place through the end of June 2013, while the contractor installs rail along this section of roadway.
- One eastbound Broadway travel lane will be maintained from Granada Avenue through the Church Avenue intersection.
- Broadway and Stone Avenue intersection will not be impacted by this work.
- Because of the location of the work and restricted lanes, large trucks will not be allowed to turn at the intersection of Church Avenue and Broadway.
- ONGOING: North and southbound Church Avenue, at Broadway, has been reduced to one travel lane in each direction. This lane reduction will be in place through the end of June 2013.
- One eastbound Broadway travel lane will be maintained through the Church Avenue intersection.
- Because of the location of the work and restricted lanes, large trucks will not be allowed to turn at the intersection.
- North and southbound crosswalk access will be shifted from the east and west side of the Church Avenue and Broadway intersection as work progresses through the area.
- East and westbound crosswalk access will be maintained along both sides of the Broadway and Church Avenue intersection.
- Parking will not be allowed along the east side of Church Avenue, between Broadway and Jackson Street.
I-10 and West End of Line
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Cushing Street, between the eastbound I-10 frontage road west to Avenida del Palo Fierro, is closed to motorists.
- The eastbound I-10 frontage road is reduced to one travel lane between Congress and Cushing Streets.
- Access to the Congress Street I-10 on ramp will be maintained at all times.
- Access to businesses along the eastbound I-10 frontage road will not be impacted.
- The Cushing Street and I-10 underpass is closed to through traffic.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- No ongoing construction related activities are occurring along Fourth Avenue or University Boulevard at this time.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes Second Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The intersection of Warren Avenue and First Street has been closed to allow the contractor to complete the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. This closure will be in place through July, 2013.
- Second Street has been re-opened to motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians from Park Avenue to Campbell Avenue.
- Helen Street, between Warren and Martin Avenues, is closed.
- The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is expected to be in place through June 2013, while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.