Streetcar Construction Info for July 21-July 27
July 22, 2013
The following information was culled from the Tucson Modern Streetcar newsletter, found online at TucsonStreetcar.com. If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project.
Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
NEW/UPCOMING WORK ACTIVITIES
- Monday, July 22, 2013 and Tuesday, July 23, 2013 from 5:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day, westbound Congress will be reduced to one lane between Church and Granada Avenues.
- Turn movements will not be affected during this temporary lane restriction.
- On Thursday, July 25, 2013, the contractor will weld the final piece of rail at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Congress Street.
- Congress Street will be closed from Toole Avenue through the Fifth Avenue intersection from 9 a.m. to noon. One lane of southbound Fifth Avenue will be maintained.
- On Friday, July 26, 2013, the contractor will pour the final concrete track slab at Congress Street and Fifth Avenue. The following restrictions will be in place from 6 a.m. Friday, July 26, 2013 through 6 a.m. Monday, July 29, 2013.
- Westbound Congress will be reduced to one travel lane from Toole Avenue through the Fifth Avenue intersection. Turn movements at the intersection will be permitted.
- North and southbound Fifth Avenue will be reduced to one lane. Turn movements at the intersection will be permitted.
- The contractor is continuing with the installation and adjustments of the overhead contact wire along Congress Street and Broadway from Toole Avenue to Granada Avenue.
Motorists should expect lane restriction in the area. Officers will be on site to direct traffic during this work.
- The contractor will continue installing traffic poles and signals, conduit, sidewalks, curb and access ramps in the following areas:
- Broadway, from Granada Avenue to Fifth Avenue.
- Granada Avenue, from Congress Street to Cushing Street.
- Cushing Street from Granada, west under I-10 to Avenida Del Convento.
- Traffic may be shifted to accommodate work in the area.
- Temporary turn restrictions at intersections may be in place during these activities.
- On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., westbound Second Street will be closed at the intersection of Warren Avenue. Motorists should watch for signs directing them around the work area. The closure will be in place for one workday only and will allow the contractor to complete underground utility work in the area.
ONGOING WORK – ALL SECTIONS
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
Access to the many events and activities in the downtown area can be reached from the north by using Sixth Avenue; from the east by using Broadway or Barraza-Aviation Parkway; from the south by using Sixth Avenue; or from the west by using Congress Street and Broadway.
- The existing traffic signals and foundations at the intersections of Church Avenue and Broadway and Stone Avenue and Broadway have been removed. Temporary three-way stops will be in place while the new traffic signals are installed. Officers will direct traffic during peak travel times.
- The existing traffic signals and foundations at the intersection of Granada Avenue and Congress Street have been removed. Temporary signals will be in place while the new traffic signals are installed.
- The contractor is installing stop foundations and canopies and poles for the overhead contact system (OCS) in the downtown area along Congress Street and Broadway. Officers will be on site to direct traffic during this work.
- The existing traffic signals have been removed from the intersection of Broadway and Sixth Avenue. A temporary three-way stop is in place at the Broadway and Sixth Avenue intersection. This temporary traffic control will be in place while the new traffic signals are installed.
- North and southbound Church Avenue, at Broadway, has been reduced to one travel lane in each direction.
- Because of the location of the work and restricted lanes, large trucks will not be allowed to turn at the intersection. North and southbound crosswalk access will be shifted from the east and west side of the Church Avenue and Broadway intersection as work progresses through the area. East and westbound crosswalk access will be maintained along both sides of the Broadway and Church Avenue intersection. Parking will not be allowed along the east side of Church Avenue, between Broadway and Jackson Street.
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Cushing Street, east of the westbound I-10 frontage road, has been re-opened. Cushing Street under I-10 will remain closed.
- Cushing Street, between the eastbound I-10 frontage road west to Avenida del Palo Fierro, is closed to motorists.
- The eastbound I-10 frontage road is reduced to one travel lane between Congress and Cushing Streets.
- Access to the Congress Street I-10 on ramp will be maintained at all times.
- Access to businesses along the eastbound I-10 frontage road will not be impacted.
- The Cushing Street and I-10 underpass is closed to through traffic.
This area of the project includes Second Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The intersection of Warren Avenue and First Street has been closed to allow the contractor to complete the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. This closure will be in place through July, 2013.
- Helen Street, between Warren and Martin Avenues, is closed.
- The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is expected to be in place through July 2013, while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
- Second Street has been re-opened to motorists, bicyclist and pedestrians from Park Avenue to Campbell Avenue.
- This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. No ongoing construction related activities are occurring along Fourth Avenue or University Boulevard at this time.
- A project unrelated to the Sun Link Tucson Streetcar project, is working along St. Mary’s Road/Sixth Street, between Church Avenue and the westbound I-10 frontage road. Church Avenue at Sixth Street has been closed to allow the contractor to complete underground utility work.
The following traffic control will be in place during this work:
- North and southbound Church Avenue will be closed at Sixth Street to allow the contractor to complete underground sewer work. The closure is expected to be in place through the end of July 2013.
- Main Avenue will be closed at its intersection with Sixth Street.
- Work hours for the contractor are 6 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday with occasional weekend work.
- Motorists are asked to avoid using local neighborhood streets as a detour.