Streetcar Construction Info for August 5-10
August 5, 2013
The following information was culled from the Tucson Modern Streetcar newsletter, found online at TucsonStreetcar.com. If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project.
Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
PLEASE NOTE: WEATHER RELATED IMPACTS MAY AFFECT SCHEDULED WORK ACTIVITIES
NEW WORK ACTIVITIES
- Cable wire is being installed all along the streetcar route, but impacts to traffic are minimal during this operation and usually only require parking or lane restrictions in the immediate area of the installation. Work is also being completed on the stops along the route some of which will have special art installations.
- The contractor is continuing with the installation and adjustments of the overhead contact wire along Congress Street and Broadway from Toole Avenue to Granada Avenue. Motorists should expect lane restrictions in the area. Officers will be on site to direct traffic during this work.
- The contractor will continue installing traffic poles and signals, conduit, sidewalks, curb and access ramps in the following areas:
- Broadway from Granada Avenue to Fifth Avenue.
- Granada Avenue from Congress Street to Cushing Street.
- Cushing Street from Granada, west under I-10 to Avenida del Convento.
- Traffic may be shifted to accommodate work in the area.
- Temporary turn restrictions at intersections may be in place during these activities.
- The contractor is completing repairs to the drainage facilities along University Boulevard, between Euclid and Park Avenues.
- From 6 a.m. on Monday, August 5, 2013 through Wednesday, August 7, 2013, westbound University Boulevard will be closed between Tyndall and Euclid Avenues while the contractor repaves the roadway.
- The westbound travel lane between Park and Euclid Avenues will be closed to motorists and bicyclists during the above work hours.
- Parking will not be permitted along the north side of University Boulevard, between Tyndall and Euclid Avenues.
- Beginning at 10 p.m. on Wednesday, August 7, 2013 though 5 a.m. the following morning, the contractor will conduct electrical testing along a portion of the streetcar line. Roadways affected during this work are: Warren Avenue, Second Street, Park Avenue, University Boulevard and Fourth Avenue. The testing operation will begin near Fourth Avenue and Ninth Street and progress along the roadways, ending at Helen Street and Warren Avenue. Pedestrians, bicyclists and vehicles will be prohibited from crossing the rail in the immediate area of the work. Officers will be on site to help direct traffic and pedestrians around the work area.
- During the week of August 5, 2013, the contractor will complete the installation of sidewalk and curb at the intersection of Warren Avenue and Second Street. Travel lanes will be reduced and pedestrian traffic will be shifted around the work. Motorists and bicyclists should watch for flaggers directing them through the area.
ONGOING WORK – ALL SECTIONS
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
Access to the many events and activities in the downtown area can be reached from the north by using Sixth Avenue; from the east by using Broadway or Barraza-Aviation Parkway; from the south by using Sixth Avenue; or from the west by using Congress Street and Broadway.
- The existing traffic signals and foundations at the intersections of Church Avenue and Broadway and Stone Avenue and Broadway have been removed. Temporary three-way stops will be in place while the new traffic signals are installed. Officers will direct traffic during peak travel times.
- The existing traffic signals and foundations at the intersection of Granada Avenue and Congress Street have been removed. Temporary signals will be in place while the new traffic signals are installed.
- The contractor is installing stop foundations and canopies and poles for the overhead contact system (OCS) in the downtown area along Congress Street and Broadway. Officers will be on site to direct traffic during this work.
- The existing traffic signals have been removed from the intersection of Broadway and Sixth Avenue. A temporary three-way stop is in place at the Broadway and Sixth Avenue intersection. This temporary traffic control will be in place while the new traffic signals are installed.
- North and southbound Church Avenue, at Broadway, has been reduced to one travel lane in each direction.
- Because of the location of the work and restricted lanes, large trucks will not be allowed to turn at the intersection. North and southbound crosswalk access will be shifted from the east and west side of the Church Avenue and Broadway intersection as work progresses through the area. East and westbound crosswalk access will be maintained along both sides of the Broadway and Church Avenue intersection. Parking will not be allowed along the east side of Church Avenue, between Broadway and Jackson Street.
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Cushing Street, east of the westbound I-10 frontage road, has been re-opened. Cushing Street under I-10 will remain closed.
- Cushing Street, between the eastbound I-10 frontage road west to Avenida del Palo Fierro, is closed to motorists.
- The eastbound I-10 frontage road is reduced to one travel lane between Congress and Cushing Streets.
- Access to the Congress Street I-10 on ramp will be maintained at all times.
- Access to businesses along the eastbound I-10 frontage road will not be impacted.
- The Cushing Street and I-10 underpass is closed to through traffic.
This area of the project includes Second Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The intersection of Warren Avenue and First Street has been closed to allow the contractor to complete the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. This closure will be in place through August 9, 2013.
- Helen Street, between Warren and Martin Avenues, is closed.
- The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is in place while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
- This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. No ongoing construction related activities are occurring along Fourth Avenue or University Boulevard at this time.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.