Streetcar Construction Info for Sept 3-7
September 2, 2013
The following information was culled from the Tucson Modern Streetcar newsletter, found online at TucsonStreetcar.com. If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project.
Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
View project maps here.
Please Note: Weather related impacts may affect the scheduled work.
Following is detailed information for work from Sept. 3 through Sept. 7:
- On Thursday, Sept. 5, from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. the contractor will remove/replace the existing OCS wire through the Fourth Avenue underpass.
- Travel will be restricted to one direction at a time through the underpass.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained during this work.
- Motorist and bicyclist can use 6th Avenue as an alternate north/south route during this one-day operation.
- Officers will be on site to direct traffic around the work area.
- The contractor will continue with utility adjustments through mid-September, 2013, along Broadway, Congress Street and Granada Avenue.
- Motorists should prepare for lane restrictions in the area of work.
- At least one travel lane will be maintained at all times.
- The contractor is continuing with the installation and adjustments of the overhead contact wire along Broadway from Toole Avenue to Granada Avenue.
- Motorists should expect lane restriction in the area.
- Officers will be on site to direct traffic during this work.
- The contractor will continue installing sidewalks, curb and access ramps in the following areas:
- Broadway, from Granada Avenue to Fifth Avenue.
- Cushing Street from Granada, west under I-10 to Avenida Del Convento.
- Traffic may be shifted to accommodate work in the area.
- Temporary turn restrictions at intersections may be in place during these activities.
- WORK UNRELATED TO THE STREETCAR PROJECT:
Beginning at 5:30 a.m. Sunday, September 1, 2013, Tucson Water will begin underground valve repair work in the area of Fourth Avenue/Congress Street/Toole Avenue (between Broadway and Congress Street). Westbound motorist should expect heavy delays when traveling through the area. Vehicle and bicycle traffic can use south Toole Avenue to Twelfth Street, west to Fifth Avenue and then north back to Congress Street as an alternate route. Tucson Water does not anticipate the domestic water service to the businesses and residents in the area to be impacted by this work.
ONGOING WORK – ALL SECTIONS:
I-10 and West End of Line
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
- Cushing Street, between the eastbound I-10 frontage road west to Avenida del Palo Fierro, is closed to motorists.
- The eastbound I-10 frontage road is reduced to one travel lane between Congress and Cushing Streets.
- Access to the Congress Street I-10 on ramp will be maintained at all times.
- Access to businesses along the eastbound I-10 frontage road will not be impacted.
- The Cushing Street and I-10 underpass is closed to through traffic.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
Access to the many events and activities in the downtown area can be reached from the north by using Sixth Avenue; from the east by using Broadway or Aviation Parkway; from the south by using Sixth Avenue; or from the west by using Congress Street/Broadway.
- The existing traffic signals and foundations at the intersections of Church Avenue and Broadway and Stone Avenue and Broadway have been removed.
- Temporary three-way stops will be in place while the new traffic signals are installed.
- Officers will direct traffic during peak travel times.
- The contractor is installing stop foundations and canopies and poles for the overhead contact system (OCS) in the downtown area along Congress Street and Broadway. Officers will be on site to direct traffic during this work.
- The existing traffic signals have been removed from the intersection of Broadway and Sixth Avenue.
- A temporary three-way stop is in place at the Broadway and Sixth Avenue intersection. This temporary traffic control will be in place while the new traffic signals are installed.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
- No ongoing construction related activities are occurring along Fourth Avenue or University Boulevard at this time.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes Second Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. ONGOING traffic control in this area is as follows:
- The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is in place while the contractor completes the removal of the existing roadway, underground utility work, rail placement and installation of the Overhead Contact System. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.