Streetcar Construction for Sept 29-Oct 5
September 30, 2013
The following information was culled from the Tucson Modern Streetcar newsletter, found online at TucsonStreetcar.com. If you have any questions or concerns, call the info line at 624-5656 to speak to a team member about the project.
Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times. Cyclists must walk their bikes while using the sidewalks.
View project maps here.
- The first Tucson Sun Link Streetcar has arrived at the Maintenance and Operation Facility. A series of overnight testing of the vehicle and electrical system is scheduled to be conducted over the next several weeks.
- During the week of September 30, 2013, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following morning, the overhead contact system will be energized in the downtown area and west end of the line. The streetcar will be tested along these sections of the alignment at speeds of one to two mph and 10 to 12 mph.
- Officers will escort the vehicle and help direct traffic during this operation.
- Rail Signal Testing takes place during the week of September 30, 2013.
- Monday and Tuesday rail signal testing will be from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day.
- Wednesday and Thursday rail signal testing will be from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. each day.
- The rail signal testing locations are at the intersections of Congress Street and Fifth Avenue; Fourth Avenue and 8th Street; Helen Street and Warren Avenue, and Warren Avenue and Second Street. Motorists should expect temporary lane restrictions in the area of work.
- Avenida del Convento opened to traffic on Saturday, September 28, 2013.
- Cushing Street under I-10 opened to traffic on Saturday, September 28, 2013.
- Downtown traffic signal installation is complete and the signals have been activated! Three way stops have been removed. Motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians should use caution in the area while the public becomes accustomed to the change in traffic control throughout the downtown area.
- The contractor will continue with utility adjustments through October 4, 2013, along Broadway, Congress Street and Granada Avenue.
- Motorists should prepare for lane restrictions in the area of work. At least one travel lane will be maintained at all times.
ONGOING WORK – ALL SECTIONS:
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
Access to the many events and activities in the downtown area can be reached from the north by using Sixth Avenue; from the east by using Broadway Boulevard or Aviation Parkway; from the south by using Sixth Avenue; or from the west by using Congress Street/Broadway Boulevard.
- ONGOING: The contractor is continuing with adjustments of the overhead contact wire in the downtown area. Motorists should expect temporary lane restriction in the area. Officers will be on site to direct traffic during this work.
- ONGOING: The contractor will continue installing sidewalks, curb and access ramps in the downtown area. Traffic may be shifted to accommodate work in the area. Temporary turn restrictions at intersections may be in place during these activities.
I-10 and West End of Line
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- No ongoing construction related activities are occurring in this section at this time.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- No ongoing construction related activities are occurring along this section at this time.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes Second Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: The Warren Avenue Underpass closure is in place while the contractor completes the installation of the Overhead Contact System and safety fencing. Detour signs will be in place to help direct pedestrian and bicycle traffic through the area.
The construction activity information in this update is subject to change at any time.